Policies running after reimaging/at First Boot

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Seeing this issue at a client that's still running 8.73 (that will change in the next couple of days).

I've got machines which have been off the network for a month or two. There may be several policies (Flash Player, Adobe Reader, et. al.), scoped to Smart Groups of clients that don't have the latest version, queued up to run on these devices.

I NetBoot the machines and wipe/image them with Casper Imaging. A few of the installs are packages, so Casper Imaging copies these to the client and creates a First Boot script to install these on the next restart (using the adobeinstall user).

The problem I'm seeing is that, when the machines boot up and log in as the adobeinstall user, they also check in with the JSS and those pending policies run. This slows down the time required to install the packages in the First Boot script, and there's some duplication of effort.

Other than disabling all of these policies temporarily, is there another way to keep this from happening? I know that if a machine has its network connection yanked during the First Boot, reconnected and an Update Inventory (Recon) done after imaging, those policies scoped to Smart Groups will change, and the reimaged machines will drop out of them and the policies won't run.

Would be nice if reimaging would drop the machines out of the Smart Groups until a Recon is performed...

0 REPLIES 0