Policy Execution Frequency: "Once per user per computer"

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Can somepone please enlighten on the exact behavior of "Once per user per computer" is the example situation below?

User "bsmtih" logs into computer "mac1" for the first time. Policy runs.

If I delete the "bsmith" user account (and local homedir), will the Policy run again when "bsmith" logs in again at a later date?

2 REPLIES 2

thoule
Valued Contributor II
If I delete the user account "bsmith", will the Policy run again when "bsmith" logs in again at a later date?

bsmith logging in and policy running will still be in the logs so the JSS won't run it again. It will run again once the logs are flushed.

It's better to handle these tasks using a LaunchAgent.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Thank you @thoule

I didnt know if JAMF was checking the existence of the account in dscl or using another method such as logs.

I am asking because I'm playing with "Once per user per computer" Policies in a test environment (experimenting with creating a "user first-run" type of policy to on-board new users).

I want to use the same test account(s) sometimes (Im tired of creating user accounts each time I do a test run - Im lazy)

Flushing the logs will be fine in this sitatuaion since its not in production and only scoped to a single IT test computer right now.