Policy Trigger - At App Launch?

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

We're (FINALLY) moving towards a larger picture plan with our Mac workstations, and allowing local mail applications to run on our Macs as opposed to a Citrix session. Our security team wants to display a pop up message at launch of MS Outlook (the chose application). For the life of me, I can't seem to scope that out as a policy. I could kill it 7 ways to Sunday, but to display a popup security warning message when the application launches has me scratching my head. Has anyone else come across this issue (a popup when an application launches)? If so, how did you solve it?

Sometimes I can't see the forest through the trees, so please take that in mind.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Old post, finally cleaning up.

We ended up using a policy that executed once a week at random times with a JAMF helper display message. Our security team liked that a little bit more so that the users wouldn't get conditioned to the pop up and just ignore it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Your best bet for this may be a user level LaunchAgent that runs when Outlook is opened. Perhaps something that watches a file for changes and runs a script. Or you could make it run every x seconds, like Restricted Software works, which greps the process list for Outlook and pulls the PID for it. If it returns a result and that result is a different PID from what it saw last time it ran, it could then display a message. That way it would only run once per launch session.

Restricted Software can be set to just display a message, but it will keep popping up every 15 or so seconds while the app is open which obviously won't work. You also can't change the icon it uses without hacking jamfHelper.app.

Hopefully the LaunchAgent idea gives you something to start with.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Old post, finally cleaning up.

We ended up using a policy that executed once a week at random times with a JAMF helper display message. Our security team liked that a little bit more so that the users wouldn't get conditioned to the pop up and just ignore it.