PPPC Config Profiles

PeteToscano
New Contributor II

I'm relatively new to PPPC configs. I ran across a PPPC config profile for some old software that had been renamed, but the profile hadn't been updated. It's a softphone client and requires Accessibility permission and access to the mic. Since macOS doesn't allow us to enable the mic, this PPPC should only have one property to set. I figured this would be easy. 😂

I used the Jamf PPPC Utility to create the config profile. I added the application on the right panel, picked the Accessibility property, set it to Allow, then uploaded it to our Jamf server. On the Jamf server, I assigned the config profile to my test laptop (running Ventura). On the laptop, I verified that the profile had been installed. When I check my work in System Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Accessibility, the toggle for this softphone is still disabled.

Am I doing something wrong? It's a fairly simple workflow. Maybe my expectations are off? I expected to see the Accessibility toggle for the softphone to be enabled, but maybe "Allow" is more along the same lines as "Let Standard Users Approve"? On the off-chance that it is, I tried to toggle it as a non-admin user, but unsurprisingly, I was prompted for admin credentials.

Ideas? (Pointers to helpful documentation are welcome too.)

Thanks,
Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@PeteToscano Settings applied via a PPPC profile will not appear in the Privacy & Security UI (yes, it's annoying). If your profile shows in Jamf Pro as installing successfully, and the profile payload appears correct if you look under the Profiles section of System Preferences/Settings you should be good.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@PeteToscano Settings applied via a PPPC profile will not appear in the Privacy & Security UI (yes, it's annoying). If your profile shows in Jamf Pro as installing successfully, and the profile payload appears correct if you look under the Profiles section of System Preferences/Settings you should be good.

PeteToscano
New Contributor II

Well, that would explain what I'm seeing then. 😐 Thank you for the info, @sdagley.

I'm a big fan of checking my work. While I can see the new profile is installed locally, is there a way to check the settings from the command line? 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@PeteToscano I don't know if the info is still applicable (Apple doesn't document it), but the following article might be useful for extracting what settings are applied: https://www.rainforestqa.com/blog/macos-tcc-db-deep-dive

PeteToscano
New Contributor II

Thank you, @sdagley. I'll give it a read.