prestage enrollment and authenticating user names

DirkM2012
Contributor

I recently started playing with DEP and prestage enrollment and was wondering whether or not what I am seeing is normal (Jamf Pro 10.9.0).

If I manually enroll a Mac via jss.company.com/enroll, the Mac is assigned to the authenticating user regardless whether or or it's already in Jamf Pro.
If I use DEP and the Mac was never in Jamf Pro or has been deleted before wiping and rebuilding, the Mac is assigned to the authenticating user.
If I use DEP and the Mac was already in JSS but has been wiped and rebuild, the user assignment after DEP enrollment is blank even though the user authenticated properly.

I was wondering if this is a bug or by design.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

marklamont
Contributor III

never seen this myself, and I build and wipe constantly doing testing. Using jss 10.9 but haven't seen that with older 10.x versions either

DirkM2012
Contributor

I did a few more tests with these results (asset was not deleted from Jamf Pro between the tests and completed wiped and build from scratch each time):
- enrolled via DEP during Setup Assistant, asset remains assigned to previous user
- enrolled via sudo profiles renew -type enrollment, asset has no longer a user assigned
- enrolled via jss.company.com/enroll, asset is assigned to authenticating user
Application and Computer usage logs show the history from before the last enrollment but policy logs seems to have been cleared during enrollment.

This is probably not an issue unless someone is frequently giving the same asset to different users.

Is there a way to tell Jamf Pro to delete any existing computer record if the same asset is enrolled again? Or can I run a script at "before enrollment"?