Prestage Imaging computers showing up as unmanaged

plawrence
Contributor II

I am about to image a large amount of computers and would like to do them automatically, so I am trying out the Prestage imaging options for the first time. Here is how I have configured it:

Enabled: Yes
Assign Names Using: MAC Address
Limit Scope by: MAC Address
Run automatically during initial imaging
Filled out all the MAC Addresses in the Scope section
Limit to this Many Computers: 800
Target Drive: Macintosh HD
Install Configuration: The_Name_of_my_Smart_Configuration
Entered username and password into Local Authentication
Store all imaging information
Skip the 60 second delay
Update ByHost files

I Netboot them and they automatically start imaging, which is great, but after they finish they appear in the JSS as Unmanaged, which prevents me from applying any policies to them.

If I don't use PreStage Imaging and just Netboot normally, then the machines appear in the JSS as managed.

The configuration I am using is a Smart Configuration, in Casper Admin I can't change the Management tab on a Smart Config, but if I look at the Management tab on its Parent Configuration the "Ensure computers imaged with this configuration are managed" box is ticked.

I am running version 8.4 of the casper suite. Its my first time using PreStage imaging, is there something I am missing?

Patrick Lawrence.

8 REPLIES 8

Jak
New Contributor III

we are seeing a similar issue. I've added a quickadd package to the payload to run at reboot, but this shouldn't really be required?

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I had this issue once back when upgrading versions of Casper. I just went into my parent configuration and re-entered the managed account name and the password for it, and that fixed my issue.

-Tom

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I'm now seeing this issue on 8.43 as well. I re-entered the management information in the parent configuration and that did not work. I also changed the management information (different username) and that did not work either. At Jak's suggestion, I added a quickadd package to run at first boot and that didn't work either.

Right now I'm testing the application of just the parent configuration vs the smart configuration to see if I can narrow down where this is happening.

If I apply the image manually, it works fine.

Anyone?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Interestingly, if I apply just the parent configuration with PreStage imaging, the machine is managed.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Update: I've worked around by combining everything into a single configuration. Not ideal, but it will work for my demo.

matthew-c
New Contributor III

I am getting this same issue on 8.51. Has anyone found a definitive fix?

cheers

Matt

matthew-c
New Contributor III

so far seems to have been fixed in 8.52

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

We've had similar issues, even as of 8.52. What I've found was that if I have a PreStage with no Image Config chosen, the Enroll script created at imaging (/Library/Application Support/JAMF/FirstRun/Enroll/enroll.sh) doesn't include the "jamf enroll" command and machines end in an unmanaged state. If the PreStage has an Image Config chosen, the enroll.sh script does contain the "enroll" command and the machines end up managed.