Prestage Imaging

DoctaJ
New Contributor II

Hello all,

We are having an issue getting a prestage to execute. I have limited the scope to network segments, but when a machine is netBoted within that segment it doesn't pull the prestage settings. The run count is 0 in the JSS. It fails to run regardless if the machines are managed or not. We are about to image a few thousand machines that are currently not in the JSS and would like to have the the auto-login/configurations set per network segment.

Any thoughts?
Do I need to create a policy to assist with the prestage?

Thanks!

AG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

In the General Tab, you have enabled the PreStage (radio button), and checked the box to run automatically?
What are you using for your naming? For a test, choose "List of Names", then in the Computer names Tab, enter a name into the box (ex: Test).

When you enter your authentication in the Install Tab, you're entering the admin name and password for your netboot image, not your casper credentials, and not the admin creds for your image that you're laying down, right?

Be sure you've deleted your test target computer from the JSS, and then netboot.
Is it asking you to Authenticate to Casper, or locally?

View solution in original post

DoctaJ
New Contributor II

Well guys n dolls,
Thanks for the responses. Sandy hit it on the head with "....enter a name into the box (ex: Test)."

I got it working yesterday by entering a name in the name box. I then chose to put 01 and 10 as start and ending numbers in the naming assistant. I got 10 machines to run normally.

I went back through the manual, re-read the prestage imaging section and was pretty frustrated when I read "if you choose to assign names..." because it should have a caveat that reads - if you don't choose to assign a name don't expect it to work....

Thank you for all the help.

AG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi AG,

PreStage image is exclusively for computers that do not yet exist in the JSS, which means they are not managed and would not receive any policies. You can test your pre-stage by deleting your test computer from the JSS inventory, and then netboot it on the subnet you've allowed for the pre-stage.

When you create your pre-stage, be sure to include the Local Authentication (admin login on your netboot image) in the Install Tab to allow the pre-stage to work.

Sandy

DoctaJ
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response, Sandy! I didn't think a policy would make sense, but it doesn't hurt to ask...
I have double & triple-checked these settings. The admin acct/passwd is set in the install tab. It still pauses when the local admin account password is required. Tab by Tab:
GENERAL: checked Run Automatically During Initial Imaging
SCOPE: checked all network segments (just to cover all bases)
INSTALL: installation options - done. local user/pass - done. JAMF server options - tested with none and Automatically Image.......
no other tabs have data entered

On the latest test it still stops on authentication. I even grabbed a few machines that have never been associated with the network or JSS. Run Count still reads 0

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

AG,

My JSS is at 8.5.2 and I just ran a pre-stage to verify all is working (it is)

If you enter the authentication info when it comes up, then the rest works?

S

DoctaJ
New Contributor II

Sandy - thanks again!

After I authenticate it acts as if no prestage is set. To directly answer your Q - no, unfortunately it doesn't work. :( We have to select configuration options...

We are running 8.5.2 as well...

AG

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

In the General Tab, you have enabled the PreStage (radio button), and checked the box to run automatically?
What are you using for your naming? For a test, choose "List of Names", then in the Computer names Tab, enter a name into the box (ex: Test).

When you enter your authentication in the Install Tab, you're entering the admin name and password for your netboot image, not your casper credentials, and not the admin creds for your image that you're laying down, right?

Be sure you've deleted your test target computer from the JSS, and then netboot.
Is it asking you to Authenticate to Casper, or locally?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried scoping the pre-stage by serial number or MAC address as a test?

You'll need to delete the computer if they show up in the JSS at all in order for pre-stage to work. I'd try searching for the computer serial number in inventory just to be certain.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

William Smith has some great tips on Pre-Stage workflows that he has sent to me.

DoctaJ
New Contributor II

Well guys n dolls,
Thanks for the responses. Sandy hit it on the head with "....enter a name into the box (ex: Test)."

I got it working yesterday by entering a name in the name box. I then chose to put 01 and 10 as start and ending numbers in the naming assistant. I got 10 machines to run normally.

I went back through the manual, re-read the prestage imaging section and was pretty frustrated when I read "if you choose to assign names..." because it should have a caveat that reads - if you don't choose to assign a name don't expect it to work....

Thank you for all the help.

AG

bjohnson
New Contributor

From the Casper Suite Admin's Guide

"If you chose to assign names to the computers using a list of names in step 8, do one of the following:
??????
- Manually enter a list of computer names in the blank field provided.
????
- If the names are in numerical order, perform the following steps to have the JSS populate the list for you.

- Click the Computer Name Assistant button."

Key Phrase--do one of the following.