Printer driver new version released

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I have printers already being deployed via self service, just the other day I saw that these printers now have a newer driver version released a couple days ago. If I want to get these printers to use the newer driver version just released, do I recreate the printers, upload them to CASPER, create the policies ..... And do that whole routine all over again? Just so they get the newly released driver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I tried today to deploy the new version of the Xerox printer driver and still use the previous printer objects I added to CASPER admin. i simply cloned the printer policy, made the pkg change to install the new driver version and then ran the policy. In the end the printer continued to use the previous driver. Ppd file not the same? Looks like I will have to readd the printers into CASPER admin. Probably not worth the hassle to update to newer driver anyways.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

You probably can just run a policy to update the drivers on existing systems. Are you deploying the driver package before the printers? Just update that and you will likely be OK.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Yes, driver package before printer, custom event setup to install drivers. Sounds good. I'll clone the custom event with the new driver pkg and see what happens.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Typically when printer driver packages are revised, new PPDs for different printer models are added, and perhaps some other driver components are added/changed/upgraded. The PPD files for existing printers are not typically updated, unless bugs or other issues are found. Casper is typically deploying the CUPS-customized PPD file from /etc/cups/ppd. The worst-case scenario would be some kind of bug where you would potentially have to delete and re-add the printer via Casper Admin, then re-deploy, but I have never run into this scenario before. Re-deploying because someone screwed up the printer configuration (trays/finisher/etc), sure...

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I tried today to deploy the new version of the Xerox printer driver and still use the previous printer objects I added to CASPER admin. i simply cloned the printer policy, made the pkg change to install the new driver version and then ran the policy. In the end the printer continued to use the previous driver. Ppd file not the same? Looks like I will have to readd the printers into CASPER admin. Probably not worth the hassle to update to newer driver anyways.