Printer Drivers are deprecated

Sonam2021
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am trying to install Kyocera Printer on my mac device, I did the following steps:

1. Created Kyocera Pkg

2. Created policy, added pkg and mapped the printer

3. I am trying to add below command in script 

lpadmin -p "Pepper" -D "Pepper" -E -v "lpd://" -m "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Kyocera TASKalfa 4053ci.PPD"

I get an error = Printer drivers are deprecated and will stop working in CUPS 

I read through lot of blogs and tried below commands also but same issue persists:

lpadmin -p "Pepper" -D "Pepper" -E -v "ipp://" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Kyocera TASKalfa 4053ci.PPD"

Please advise

12 REPLIES 12

Fluffy
Contributor III

I have had the same error message when adding a printer, though I can't recall the specific one. But it did appear to have installed correctly and printed as it was supposed to.

I will go back and see if I can find the printer/script that gave me that message and confirm whether it works or not. I'm curious if anyone has an explanation for the error.

Sonam2021
New Contributor III

Sure, please do share

I got the same message and it does indeed still work, even the staple option.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

This is normal. The version of CUPS in macOS 11.x(Big Sur) and above has deprecated print drivers. It's more of a warning than an error at this point in time and won't inhibit your ability to install a printer. The message is a gentle nudge for people to start transitioning to AirPrint or IPPEverywhere.

Just found another thread troubleshooting the -m everywhere command. I'll have to go back and start testing that. I'm unsure how old our printers are, so here's hoping it goes well on the first try.

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/lpadmin-options-are-deprecated/m-p/236308 

Will it be safe to use this command line for deploying printers? wont it create problems in future?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

It's safe for now. When CUPS no longer allows drivers (3.0 maybe?) then it will be a problem as the command will most likely error out versus giving a warning.

There is no timeline when this cut off will occur so that's why it's best to start preparing for the future but don't go full tilt right this second. The everywhere "driver" is generic so you will lose printer specific features. I would not deploy it into production until you're sure you have all of your ducks in a row.

So in such cases, what you recommend should be the best way to manage printers in org

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Depends on your size really and what features you're looking for. Secure print, collating, stapling, etc.

A simple and easy one is PaperCut's Mobility Service. Deploys printers using AirPrint or Secure AirPrint using DDNS(Bonjour), DNS, and known host as discovery methods. You would need to implement their Papercut software to get secured queues or job holding.

Couple other ones are PrinterOn or PrinterLogic. 

You can also just stick with scripting like you are now. If I recall correctly you need to drop -P from your command and use -m everywhere.

The recommendations are helpful, thanks.

Dropping -E adds the printer, but paused. With -E printer is added with IPP Everywhere shown in Kind. Prints as normal. I believe -E enables the printer to accept jobs.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Yep, that's correct. I was thinking of -P.

Post corrected.

Thanks!

Sonam2021
New Contributor III

It dint worked for me , try and let me know