Printer queues in the new world order: AirPrint? IPP?

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

So we’re only concerned with wired machines talking to a wired Windows print server that talks to the wired printers.

We currently use

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p myqueue -E -v "smb://myprintserver/myqueue" -P mydriver -o printer-is-shared=false -o HPOption_Duplexer=true -o OpPolicy=Kerberos -o State=Idle -o Accepting=Yes -o printer-error-policy=retry-job

since those options can’t be set using the GUI. But lpadmin and print drivers are deprecated so we’re looking for guidance. Can AIrPrint be used for a completely wired setup or does it involve wireless always?
Is IPP the way to go or is it also being deprecated?
How would we set up a queue like above with the new world order?

3 REPLIES 3

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I would love to see what folks are doing about this. However, I'm currently hammering out whether or not to use Airprint to get around the issues associated with keeping older printer/copiers running via PaperCut's Print Deploy tools. (https://www.papercut.com/support/resources/manuals/print-deploy/roll-out-print-deploy-client/topics/deploy-jamf.html)

nathan_thornhil
New Contributor II

Our district decided to drop print servers in favor of Printerlogic. Doesn't require admin rights to install drivers or add printers, so I no longer have to hassle with that. Just install the Printerlogic client and they get access to the printers we've assigned their AD groups in the Printerlogic admin console. They pick what they want from a list and it takes care of the rest.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Yea, printerlogic is a no go for us. The client processes everything and therefore must remain open and operational for the print job to occur. If one of our students prints something, and then wants to go to the next class, they're stuck until the print happens. I appreciate the response.