Printing Services on Local Apps

BrandonAmos
New Contributor

When upgrading from 14.2 to 14.2.1, I lose my ability to see my printers in local applications (Preview, Word, etc.). The printers show up in System Settings but when I run the applications, it acts like it is not there and I have to manually re-add them again. I have 1400+ devices so trying to remote into each one and add it manually is not ideal and the end users do not know how to add the printer manually to our new printing system. We just went from admin users to standard users in our environment. Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

We moved away from using Jamf to provide printers a long time ago. The workflow is just very clunky and prone to issues. However, we flat out do not allow local printers (network badge release printers only) so our configuration is different than yours.

Have you tried deleting the printer object in Jamf, and making a new printer object from a device you have remapped the printer on? I would also suggest updating drivers.

BrandonAmos
New Contributor

We don't use jamf to push out printers, we use Papercut (network badge release printers). It will add the printers automatically when they switch from the different buildings but it is just the local applications. When they try to print, it gives them the option to add but the staff members would not have the server address so we can communicate through our papercut servers. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

I saw local apps and brain said local printers, did not compute "local apps" lol. 

I do not have experience with papercut specifically, but I do with Lexmark Print Services, and they should be fairly similar. When was the last time you updated the drivers?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@BrandonAmos So you're using the Print Deploy client on your endpoints then? Is your "capture" machine at the same OS level? Also what brand(s) of printer are we talking about here?

I second @AJPinto and say that checking drivers is a good idea as a missing PPD, or incompatible one will cause a queue to not show in apps, but will happily display in system settings/preferences.