Pro apps

Not applicable

Hi
We'll be introducing a couple of Pro apps courses in our Apple lab in October and I was wondering what methods those of you already running such courses were using for user management, and if there are any Casper 'gotchas' I should be aware of. To be more specific, we'll be running Final Cut and Logic Pro. Owing to the way our classrooms work, we envisage that a course may run, say, on a couple of days a week over a period of several weeks. I need to adjust various existing Casper policies (e.g. user account clean up) accordingly.

I was thinking about using Leopard server's external accounts for this purpose. The users would have a FW drive with their account and course data on it. We could store the drives between sessions so the users could just carry on where they left even if they were attending the course over a few weeks. And obviously for Final Cut it would be better to work with data on a local hard drive rather than over a network.

It's one idea. Does anyone have any experience with using external accounts and Casper? I've never tried to work with external accounts "in anger", as it were but I'd be very interested to hear how people manage such courses with Casper.

Also, when packaging Final Cut Express in the past I've tended to break out e.g. Apple Loops into a separately installable package. Given that FC Studio is effectively a suite, do people currently deploying it recommend breaking it out into its component parts, or bundling the whole lot up together in one big lump? I realise that requirements will vary but it would still be interesting to know what people find easiest to do with these big applications.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

James

~~~~~~~~~
Dr. James Partridge
Systems Development & Support (Apple)
NSMS
Oxford University Computing Service
13 Banbury Road
Oxford OX2 6NN

Tel.: (01865) 273207
iChat: james.partridge at me.com