Processes Hanging During Jamf Policy/Recon Run

aaronj
New Contributor III

I have a recurring issue on 4-5 machines where a Jamf policy run hangs due to another process hanging; in most cases this has been diskutil info /. Both the diskutil and jamf policy show the same approximate start time when checked. I'm presuming that this is happen during recon, as none of the scripts that I have run diskutil.

Most, but not all of the machines are 2012-2014 minis running High Sierra. It has also happened on a 2019 Macbook Pro, running Mojave, however.

The phenomenon can happen when a user is logged in, or not logged in. If I log in via SSH and kill the hanging process and the jamf process, I can manually run both the diskutil info / command and jamf policy without issue.

In many cases, if a user logs in after the issue happens, they are unable to log in, getting a spinner after (correctly) entering their password & username. That portion does not happen if one attempts login with invalid credentials.

I'm in the process of updating these machines to Mojave (unfortunately we're stuck with a 32-bit application that interacts with the server for a major piece of hardware) which I hope will decrease the frequency of the issue, however I'm still hoping for some sort of additional insight as to how to quash the bug in a more straightforward manner.

1 REPLY 1

aaronj
New Contributor III

Another thread reminded me to update this one. I have seen improvement on a few of these machines when I reset the printing subsystem, for unrelated reasons.

The problem has gone away on any of the machines that I have updated to Mojave, at least so far.