productbuild style QuickAdd package

joshuasee
Contributor III

I'm trying out a new deployment tool that is using startosinstall and wants productbuild style packages for the post dont-call-it-imaging steps. I'd like to use a QuickAdd package for enrollment, but those are rejected, presumably because they are the pkgbuild style. Obviously DEP uses a productbuild style package, so how do I get it? Has anyone else used QuickAdd packages with startosinstall?

4 REPLIES 4

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

If you are using bootstrappr or installr, have you tried the macOS built in productbuild command?

joshuasee
Contributor III

Using what source for the productbuild?

sshort
Valued Contributor

If you're using startosinstall I'm assuming you're installing Mojave or High Sierra, yes?

If so, I would avoid a QuickAdd package for enrollment, b/c with DEP your Macs can be enrolled with a PreStage. QuickAdd also requires the user to manually approve the enrollment configuration profile in System Preferences, whereas DEP is considered "user-approved" without that manual intervention.

kfjamf
New Contributor III

This works to convert, but not sure if it will work-work for your use case. Also, you will have to manually approve the MDM as @sshort mentioned.

productbuild --package ~/Desktop/QuickAdd.pkg ~/Desktop/qabuild1.pkg