Push Package Based On Username/Package Name

zmiller
New Contributor II

We have to push a personalized package to every user's computer. Currently we're creating the package then creating a policy for each user. This ends up with hundreds of policies.

Is there a way to create a package name based on the username of the computer, then push that package to every system with that username?

Example: newuser.dmg goes to any system with the user newuser.

I would like to be able to have just one policy rather than hundreds.

5 REPLIES 5

sam_g
Contributor
Contributor

What exactly is unique to each individual that you're trying to push to each of them?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I have the same question. Can you explain why each user would need to get their own unique pkg? Maybe if you explain exactly what it is you're trying to do we can help you develop a better method for this.

zmiller
New Contributor II

We have Yubikeys with PAM Authentication that we package and push out to each user. Each user gets their own key.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I can't think of a way to do this entirely in JAMF (without some serious on-the-fly scripted API work). If you have an alternate method of pulling the pkg and installing it, like via a script that mounts a file share (or downloads the pkg from a web server) and copies/installs the package, that would work.

Creating the packages would be a whole other scenario. Doable with scripting and a good source of data regarding user-Yubikey assignments.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

I'm with @alexjdale's idea of a single policy with a script which pulls the user-specific packages from your distribution point.