Pushing a single iOS app with multiple license keys

tlchaney
New Contributor

Hello Everyone,

We have a department paying for a language interpretation service that comes with a corresponding iOS app (LanguageLine Insight). Currently we have the iOS app set to automatically install on all devices for that department, and if anyone in that department wants to use the app they must contact the department administrator for the authentication (license) code. They chose not to have us configure the auth code into the app during deployment for unknown reasons.

Other departments have shown interest in this app so we are now looking at purchasing a site license for everyone to use. In order to facilitate easier billing for each department, the company is going to provide unique authentication codes for each department. The department heads however have shown interest in having the authentication codes pushed out with the app.

The app itself does not support this feature. It supports a single authentication code during deployment only. My question is, can I simply add multiple instances of the app in our 'Mobile Device App' catalog, providing unique names for each instance to reflect which department the app is for, and then configure the unique authentication codes to each of the app instances in our catalog?

In theory I think this would work. I added a second instance of the iOS app to our catalog and simply added a 2-digit department identifier to the end of the app name (allowing me to configure 2 separate 'app configuration's for the same app). My concern is how well this will behave as the app starts to get deployed and if this will cause any confusion with the auth codes. Last thing I want is for the license codes to get crossed as the app is getting pushed and/or when the app gets updated.

Has anyone out there tested this in production that can provide any feedback?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf_sam

Hello @tlchaney - this absolutely works. You can have multiple entries with different AppConfigs scoped to different devices. This is something we've spoken to LanguageLine and other app vendors about and it helps solve exactly this problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jamf_sam

Hello @tlchaney - this absolutely works. You can have multiple entries with different AppConfigs scoped to different devices. This is something we've spoken to LanguageLine and other app vendors about and it helps solve exactly this problem.

tlchaney
New Contributor

Perfect, thank you very much!

TheWarmAtlantic
New Contributor III

@tlchaney  Can you give an example appconfig. looking around the internet and can't find anything.

<dict>
   <key>authenticationcode</key>
   <string>codehere</string>
   <key>devicename</key>
   <string>$SERIALNUMBER</string>
</dict>

for anyone that comes along looking for this.

Marvin_Alonso
New Contributor

Hey reviving and old thread.

I also have to deploy language line what I did.

We have a department that just works with language line well over 1k devices.

I created a pop-up extension attribute with the different codes.

My problem is when they move 1 devices from 1 location to another it does not work its sticks to the old auth code. Only way to make it work is to clear the extension wait for app to delete the change to the new location.

Are any of you guys experiencing this?