Pushing License via Casper Suite (now KeyServer)

Brad_G
Contributor II

KeyServer client merely checks to see how many licenses are in use and will either allow or deny the application launch based on the KeyServer configuration. This thread is about each application developers license/activation code and is specific to that vendor. KeyServer plays no part in the installation of the application on the client machine.

KeyServer Example:
Let's say we have 20 CONCURRENT Adobe Photoshop licenses (concurrent licenses is important here as they are different than single user licenses). We still get an installation/activation license (the topic of this thread) from Adobe to install the software on our clients. We install them (manually or using tools such as Casper) accordingly.

When we launch the application on our client computer the KeyServer client asks the KeyServer how many copies are currently (concurrent) being used. If the number is less than 20 we get a token and the application launches and the user continues on. If there currently are 20 users of Photoshop then we get a message from KeyServer telling us there are no licenses available and we can get in line for a license when it becomes available (another user exits Photoshop) or elect to cancel and move on.

I hope this helps clarify where KeyServer fits into the equation. It doesn't deal with the proper installation of the software but ensures license compliance for the application usage.

Brad

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Brad Gunnells
University of Iowa
Information Technology Services
Campus Technology Services/Learning Spaces Technology
Iowa City IA 52242
(319)335-5524 FAX (319)335-5505
mailto:brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
---------------------------------------------------------------------

6 REPLIES 6

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I think one of the main problems with licensing is that when an app first runs, it gathers certain specific hardware info from that computer and hashes it out to some sort of UUID and then that license is authenticated to that UUID or something to that effect. Meaning, you can't really capture a license with composer and push it out because you may get multiple instances of the same UUID hash (or whatever you want to call it, I am not a developer) and the licensing does not like that. It depends and varies on how the license authenticates, and if it does so to a server or over the Internet.

So, I think really it is a case by case scenario. I bet you could do some fancy scripting to input license keys into the right files, but again I think that also depends on the case.

Not applicable

And a fine article it is Criss. Thanks for the excellent work you did.
"Criss Myers" <CMyers at uclan.ac.uk> wrote:

Don Montalvo just alerted us to the discussions that have been taking place here recently about Sassafras K2 (KeyServer). I've been wading through the messages and I see a few misconceptions and a few questions which I wonder whether the writers received sufficient answers to yet.

If you have any outstanding questions about KeyServer, I'll suggest three actions:

1. If you're a K2 (KeyServer) user, launch KeyConfigure, hover the cursor inside the window that represents the question you have and select "Help". If your question can not be defined contextually to a KeyConfigure window, just select Help from the menu. We try to keep our on-line documentation really up to date. (Note: there is extensive documentation on using our .mpkg installers online).

2. Write to "support at sassafras.com" and Michael will assist you directly.

3. Post a message here and I'll try to notice it and pass it on to one of our tech's if I am unable to answer it directly.

About those misconceptions:

- K2 (KeyServer) is not restricted to only managing concurrent use licensing. Although that was true in the early 1990's, that's history now. For about the last 15 years, K2 can be configured to manage software compliance for all common types of desktop software licensing: including Node-locked (per-device) licensing, Site licensing, Concurrent-use, and custom limits and restrictions.

- You do not need Adobe's (or in most cases, anyone else's) "blessings" to manage software license compliance with K2 (KeyServer). You must simply configure K2 to manage licensing according to the terms of your license agreement. Most software publishers that tell you they don't "approve" of KeyServer have no idea what they are talking about. They are usually confusing KeyServer with concurrent-use management (which, as you know, it does). But they are unaware that K2 also manages node-locked (per- device) licensing and other types of licensing. If you receive resistance from software publishers, call me. I'll help.

- Sassafras and Adobe have maintained close communications between both our product management and technical development groups for many years. Adobe sales and support staffs commonly refer customers to Sassafras for assistance with license management issues.

- K2 does far more than 'merely check to see how many licenses are in use and either allow or deny an application launch'. That is an adequate description of the produce from around 1992. A lot has changed since then. It continues to do all that, but it is a very broadly capable Software Asset Management (SAM) and IT Asset Management (ITAM) tool today which conducts software and hardware audits and inventories and provides extensive tools for IT asset management, compliance management, computing lab management, lab statistics and other computing statistics, and IT cost reduction efforts.

Thanks to everyone here who are strong supporters of both Casper from Jamf and K2-KeyServer from Sassafras. We think the two products create great synergies.

Please let me know if you have any outstanding support issues with K2- KeyAuditor & KeyServer.

John Tomeny
Sassafras Software

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

The hitch with Adobe...you need their blessing to use KeyServer. I honestly think Adobe can/should partner up with Sassafras, so we can put an end to their wonky activation process.
Brad Gunnells wrote:

How quickly can someone say "authenticating proxy server"?

Hmmm...I wonder if Sassafras is monitoring this forum? :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Brad_G
Contributor II

Don, I agree that there are many software vendors that could be more "friendly" to the KeyServer option, I just threw Adobe out there in my "example". We have multiple license server scenarios on campus and it would be nice if more vendors would let us use KeyServer as our licensing monitor. There are so many other things we can do with KeyServer in the way of reports that it's a highly valuable tool in our organization.

Brad

Bukira
Contributor

Hi,

As far as i know, Adobe and KeyServer are they only partnership, In the UK Adobe said they ONLY product we can use to managed licenses is keyserver, so maybe its different where you are, but in the UK they are partnered

Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Business Support Team
Library 301
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

Bukira
Contributor

thank you John, its nice to get praise for an article from the company i do the articles on, as i do th articles from my view point and perspective as a user in the hope that i can help others learn. So its nice to know that i get it right and dont lead people down the wrong path.

Regards

Criss

Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Business Support Team
Library 301
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054