Question for Users of Jamf Admin

dng2000
Contributor II

For replication, which option suits you better? File Size, Modification Date or Checksum? I'm very inclined to go with Checksum but I thought I check with everyone else to see what they prefer.

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@dng2000 How fast is the connection to your DPs? Checksum means each file needs to be read in and the checksum calculated. That could take a lot longer than you want if you don't have fast connections. For now I have a satellite DP on another continent and File Size is what I went with (I am sooooo glad we'll be moving to a Cloud DP soon)

dng2000
Contributor II

@sdagley I noticed it when I tried the checksum option after posting this. Obviously, the File Size replicated much faster. I'm just concerned about the updated PKG that as the same file size. I haven't tried by Modification Date yet. I plan to switch to manual replication after my environment moves to the cloud and cloud DP. In the meantime, all of my secondary DP's auto-replicates from my master DP using rsync at regular intervals - which is easy when everything is on-prem and on the same network.