QuickTime Pro and Lion

mconners
Valued Contributor

All,

I know this has probably been hashed over several times. We did some research and yet couldn't find a definitive answer. So I thought I would post a discussion to see how others are addressing this, if at all.

We got several hundred new Macs in and I am attempting to create new images and packages and the one I am struggling with is QuickTime pro 7. I have tried snapshotting the installation and that doesn't see to work well.

What we did is take a new base Lion image. Installed QT Pro 7.6.6 on it, registered the serial number and it becomes the pro version. All good. taking this new package and trying to install it either does one of two things.

The system will not allow us to login to it or the registration is not valid.

Any thoughts? Have any of you successfully packaged and deployed QT Pro 7 to a Lion based system? if so, can you share your secret or wisdom with me?

Thanks again...

Mick

2 REPLIES 2

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Hello, Your solution did not work because QT Pro serial is set at ByHost level and therefore machine-dependant, but it can be managed with MCX.
You can find the manifest fro QT Pro here
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/managedPreferenceManifests.html

I don't know exactly how it should be set in JSS as I am using MCX from OD. I set QT Pro serial as "often" at computergroup level

Hope this helps
Ciao
Carlo

ToriAnneke
Contributor II

I have QuickTime Player 7.6.6 baked into my os images.
Pending on the need of the user, if they need PRO I then push out a plist with Remote, Policy, Imaging, etc. I've been using this for years... still works in Lion to my surprise.

My plist looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Pro Key</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Name</key>
        <string>*The-Registered-to-Name*</string>
        <key>Organization</key>
        <string></string>
        <key>Registration Key</key>
        <string>*your-QTPro-7-Serial-Number*</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I convert into a bplist as such:

plutil -convert binary1 /path/of/plist

Then package it as a .PKG file and it needs to be deployed into:
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.QuickTime.plist
chown 0:80 and the chmod 755

I like MCX's but they tending to get sticky. And with a plist somewhere, I can always nuke it away when that user no longer needs PRO version or whatever.