"du: : No such file or directory" in backup emails

jcrowe
New Contributor

We have setup the backup schedule in the JSS Setup Utility to send emails when the backups are complete. We also have it set to save x amount of days of backups. But, when the emails come out, under the section with the previous backups we see these messages:

du: : No such file or directory 2009-07-28_02-00-00.sql.gz
du: : No such file or directory 2009-07-24_16-08-05.sql.gz

Is this a bug or are we doing something wrong? Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Justin

5 REPLIES 5

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

du is the disk usage binary which tells you how much disk space is being used by a directory or volume.

It looks to me like it is trying to guess the size of a file or directory that it can't, is not there, or doesn't have permission to, ie owned by root.

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
blackberry: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351

jcrowe
New Contributor

If it is a permissions issue who should be the owner?

Justin

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Why is the du binary even running is what I would ask? Is it checking for free disk space before it makes the back up?

If you run it as admin, anything owned by root will be unaccessible, if you have any weird flags on your files it may be unaccessible, if you run it as root you can generally have it run on any file/directory.

For example, if I did this

du -d -x -h /

with out putting sudo in front of it, everything under /private would tell me I don't have permission to view it. I think this may be a question for jamf as perhaps du runs to check the current back up paths free space, and if there is enough free space then it creates a back up?

Or are you running any kind of custom scripts?

jcrowe
New Contributor

The emails are generated by Casper. My guess is that it is trying to put how big the backups are in the email that it sends out. Other then setting up the backup schedule in the JSS Setup Utility, I did nothing special for this other then creating the folder in which the backups reside.

Justin

Not applicable

It is trying to put the size of the backup in the email. I have my JSS set up the same way and the correct format is:

318M 2009-07-28_13-44-29.sql.gz

If you ls the location it is storing your backups (for me it's /private/var/backups/jss/) what do you get? My guess is that it's giving du the wrong path.

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer
Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu<mailto:Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu>

On Jul 29, 2009, at 1:24 PM, Justin Crowe wrote:

The emails are generated by Casper. My guess is that it is trying to put how big the backups are in the email that it sends out. Other then setting up the backup schedule in the JSS Setup Utility, I did nothing special for this other then creating the folder in which the backups reside.

Justin

On Jul 29, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Thomas Larkin wrote:

Why is the du binary even running is what I would ask? Is it checking for free disk space before it makes the back up?

If you run it as admin, anything owned by root will be unaccessible, if you have any weird flags on your files it may be unaccessible, if you run it as root you can generally have it run on any file/directory.

For example, if I did this

du -d -x -h /

with out putting sudo in front of it, everything under /private would tell me I don't have permission to view it. I think this may be a question for jamf as perhaps du runs to check the current back up paths free space, and if there is enough free space then it creates a back up?

Or are you running any kind of custom scripts?