"Failed to delete Core Storage information"

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

For some reason, 3 of the 4 Mac minis from the most recent batch
gave this when trying to erase the hard drive. Disk Utility had no problem
erasing the drive and then the workflow worked fine.
Googling found things from the 10.10 era or fusion drives which these aren't. Definitely not new hardware.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

hkabik
Valued Contributor

I still see this from time to time as well, more like 1 in 20 though... definitely at the high rate you are. What version of jamf Pro are you on?

WhippsT
Contributor

We see this quite a bit with Sierra. If you netboot to image, don't click "OK". Just Force Quit Casper Imaging and reopen it from the dock and image as you would normally. It always worked on the second try. We're netbooting OSX 10.12.6 (16G29), installing the same version, and the JSS and Casper Imaging are 9.98.

mfcfadmin
Contributor II

9.99 and 10.12.6 for the NetBoot and image.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

We have a script that "erases" the drive and removes the machine from Casper ... for re-imaging. It is is ran off a netboot imagine and we see a lot of failures with Sierra ... so much so that I made the script "erase" the drive twice.

I kinda figured this out in my testing of beta Sierra and using the GUIL Disk Utility, many times I had the app fail while trying to "erases" a VF2 drive too...I just chalked it up to an Apple bug... I am 99% sure that Casper imagine and Disk Utility are just using the Apple CLI tool diskutil.

C