"The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated."

brownbe
New Contributor III

We are trying to push apps to devices using VPP and keep getting this error. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why this keeps occurring. We started seeing it last week on one particular app, but now it's pretty much every single app we try to push. As a result we need to manually go onto each device and search for the app to download it, which is a major waste of time.

The app version is up to date in JAMF and the proper link is set up... I just don't understand why we are all of a sudden having this issue when it wasn't an issue at the first school we deployed apps to.

52 REPLIES 52

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Same here... Some work some don't.

I haven't looked into this yet but I wonder if it's because of updated terms and conditions for the users apple id? Apps that were assigned before the terms changed still can be pushed but newly assigned apps won't work until they accept the new terms?

brownbe
New Contributor III

@Nick_Gooch I'm not sure. We contacted JAMF and they said it was an issue they know about and are working on but had no further information. Just for reference we are running 9.62

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

We are on 9.63. Thanks, let me know what support says.

brownbe
New Contributor III

@Nick_Gooch We have a scheduled call with JAMF Support at 11:00 AM ET to resolve this issue, I'll let you know how it goes

aamitrano
New Contributor

We are having this issue, too. @brownbe, I'm curious how your conference call went about this. Any easy solution, or should I make a call?

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@aamitrano

I'd recommend getting in touch with your Technical Account Manager, as there are a few different things that could cause this, but to troubleshoot they'll likely need to get log files and screenshots that may contain private/identifying information that we wouldn't want to have posted to JAMF Nation.

You can get in touch with your Technical Account Manager by either giving support a call, calling them directly, sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com (it will be routed directly to their case queue), or by using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff JAMF Software Support

kuypers
New Contributor III

We have also seen this, what we have found most times is the user signed into iTunes with with another account then what they excepted the VPP invitation with. But we have also had to open the App Store and have the user except the terms again.

brownbe
New Contributor III

@Nick_Gooch][/url @aamitrano][/url Sorry for not updating earlier. Basically all we did was send them some logs and they said they were taking a look at it. From what I can understand in the logs, the problem is occurring when Apple is checking if the ID has "purchased" the app. Even though the app has been assigned through VPP it's not showing up in the purchase history on Apple's end.

Desc : The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated. US Desc: The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated. Domain : MCMDMErrorDomain Code : 12023 Type : MCFatalError

Matt_Fjerstad
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

A couple common reasons for this error to show up is if the App is iPhone only or iPad only and being deployed to the wrong device type or the App is hidden for the Apple ID. To unhide the App, we can follow the instructions in the "Unhide your purchases" section of this article http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322.

brownbe
New Contributor III

@Matt_Fjerstad All of the apps we are deploying are iPad apps going on iPads. None of the apps are showing up as hidden.

brownbe
New Contributor III

Hey guys, an update regarding this issue that I forgot to mention. JAMF has replicated the problem on their end and is currently working on it. Their defect ID for this instance is D-008401. Stay tuned...

mathieuecst
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I experienced the same issue.
As far as I tested it, the message never shows up while installing Apple apps.
It keeps on bugging as long as other apps are downloading, which means it must certainly be a bandwith issue : the link between Casper and the App Store mustn't be done correctly. Indeed, when the bandwidth gets better, the problem disappears.
Not very handy for deploying 250+ iPads in my school !
Hope JAMF team will help soon !

rsaeks
New Contributor III

We have been experiencing this issue as well. If we go to the effected devices and browse the app store, we are given the "cloud" download option instead of Install / Buy and can manually download the app just fine. This is on 9.7

Emmert
Valued Contributor

I have the same issue with certain apps on certain iPads, but we're trying out a scenario with the App Store forbidden, so I'm kinda stuck.

I'm seeing this in the log many times, could it be related?

2015-04-29 08:18:08,090 [ERROR] [omcat-11801] [FileSourceHelper ] - Master distribution technology is Legacy Distribution Point. But no source could be found for file

timlings
Contributor

I'm getting the same problem too..

bcourtade
New Contributor III

Same, I tried to push out 3 apps this afternoon to about 60 iPads. One installed, the other three are in the "The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated." crapshoot... One thing I am seeing a lot is that the ones that aren't working appear to have an out of date purchased tab in the app store. If I close out and open the app store again a few times sometimes it refreshes and I can install the app manually, but not always it seems.

Edit: This is on 9.72

Edit again: I'm also seeing that the Apple ID is greyed out under Settings and iTunes & App Store on the ones that I can't get working at all. So it seems related to a screwed up Apple ID on my iPads somehow.

rsaeks
New Contributor III

Can you re-install the app via Self-Service successfully?

bcourtade
New Contributor III

I didn't try that. What I had to do to get them all working was to reboot the iPad a few times. Each time it rebooted I got a "failed to purchase insertapphere". So there seemed to be a few apps stuck in queue even before the current app and they didn't seem to be showing as pending in the JSS. Once I got through those and I re-entered the Apple ID password, things worked normally. That only happened on a handful, but ultimately I had to re-enter the password on all of them.

JayDuff
Contributor II

We are having this issue as well. When working with our TAM, it was determined that Apple may take up to 24 hours to apply a license assigned with VPP. When it hits us, the problem usually resolves itself overnight. We are 9.7.2, so the D-008401 bug should not be a factor here.

The way we identified the problem was to check the App Store on the device, and see if the apps in question were in the "Purchased" section. If they're not in yours, then this 24-hour delay may be the problem. If the apps are in the Purchased area in the App Store, then you probably have a different issue, but I don't think this error would apply, in that case.

I hope Apple is working to figure out why the license deployment is being held up soon. I have 1,850 iPads to deploy this summer!

--
Jay Duff, ACMT
Network Administrator
Mannheim School District 83
Franklin Park, IL

Nazareth
New Contributor

I had the same error and discovered that the 2 apps with this error that I had been trying to push had been removed from the Australian store.

canderson
New Contributor

I am having the same error, on some iPads it is with a few apps and on some it is with 30+.

If it is going to be fixed by restarting the iPads I'll go around and get it done - but to do that on 200 ipads and wait for them will be quite time consuming so if there is an easier fix I would love to hear it.

tcaldwell
New Contributor

I was getting the same error as well. My issue was the Apple ID the user was using on the device was not the same one they were using when they accepted the VPP invitation. I redid the VPP registration and it fixed it.

andreagaines
New Contributor II

Wonder what resolved this? I am having this problem with the new imaging. My 20 page 1 apps load, and five of the page 2 apps load. The last four refuse. I've deleted and reinstalled and done just about everything else imaginable. The device knows it is supposed to have those apps (in Self-Service, in scope). Ideas?

mmcallister
Contributor II

We are seeing this error and we are using device-based assignment, so there are no Apple IDs on the iPads. The error is only affecting the Self Service app, and only on about 10% of the iPads. All the others are getting the app just fine.

mmcallister
Contributor II

Another tech here noticed that the iPads that aren't getting Self Service are the same iPads that were activation locked after remote wipe. All the iPads are in DEP, Managed and Supervised via Pre-Stage Enrollment.

andreagaines
New Contributor II

I'm seeing most of the apps load on my two test devices. The failures are not the same apps across the two devices, even. One refuses to load the last four apps assigned to Page 2. The other once is missing 13 apps--some from page 1, some from 2. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the apps, rebooting, endlessly reinventory-ing.... Awaiting news from Aaron @ jamfsupport.

andreagaines
New Contributor II

PS They don't install after selecting Install in Self-service either. I have lifted restrictions; iTunes store is open, etc.

mmcallister
Contributor II

Restarting the JSS and Tomcat seems to have resolved our issues.

lizmowens
New Contributor III

Running into the same issue here. It seems completely random. Out of a class of 35 4th graders, I have six iPads that are sitting on my desk because of registration errors or the iTunes store ID error. One simply spins when you click install from self service and then the install button returns a minute or so later. I had a 7th iPad that wasn't installing apps but when I tried again on that one, I got a new terms of service window and when I agreed then the apps installed. Haven't had a new terms window pop up on any of the others.These are all running device based apps through self service. Frustration abounds...

macbentosh
New Contributor III

I get this error on JAMF and Mobileiron...seems to me that it is apple then...

nsdjoe
Contributor II

I'm seeing the same error this morning on a few of our iPads. Tried restarting the JSS and Tomcat and that didn't seem to fix the issue...

qureshis
New Contributor

Hi
We are having the same issue! School starts in ten days, so we need these apps to download! We tried syncing the app with VPP, but that did not help.

andylombardo
New Contributor

We are using device based assignment as well and are seeing this issue. It is completely random. Upgrading to iOS 9.3.4 fixed it for some of our devices, but we have others that are still not installing due to the iTunes store ID could not be validated. We have around 2200 iPads and just see it in pockets. One class might have half, another might only have two that have the issue, but it seems to always center around the same apps for us.

macbentosh
New Contributor III

Seems to be an issue with apple...They are working on it. So that they work faster please contact Apple EDU support or enterprise support and let them know so they can up the scope.

zinkotheclown
Contributor II

I had a tech push out 26 apps to 5 iPads. All but one didn't receive all the apps. It only got 2 out of the 26 and had the dreaded "The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated." for most of the apps in the management log. There is no rhyme or reason why this happens.

I had the tech restore the iPad, re-enroll the iPad and re-install his VPP token into the JSS to no avail. I am able to push apps to other iPads...it's just this one!

I have so much anxiety when pushing apps with managed distribution that Apple is making it easy to turn to Chromebooks.

RLR
Valued Contributor

Started having this issue a couple of days ago. Was working fine last week. Hope they fix it soon!

CGundersen
Contributor III

This issue hit us hard yesterday. Enrolled thousands of iPads over break with good success getting apps using VPP device-assignment. Yesterday started getting email "why are these devices prompting for Apple ID, you said they wouldn't ..."

Cases with JAMF and Apple. Apple Enterprise rep I spoke with late yesterday indicated it was the first call received relating to VPP issues. We have many sites/VPP tokens ... we need device-assignment to work reliably/well. The emails/tickets yesterday saturated our minimal support bandwidth.

Also concerned with recent issues relating to crossover of iOS app scoping ... we have many sites that have purchased the same app (associated with unique site-based VPP tokens). Starting to see in device history "Remove App - AppNameHere - IncorrectSiteNameHere AppVersionNumber" This drift between app catalogs makes me sad. Working with JAMF support on this one as well.

I don't want to agree with @dlee_pausd on his last sentence, but yeah.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Strange. We did see some VPP issues Monday/Tuesday but nothing since. We haven't yet seen the Apple ID prompting, but we push apps automatically, not via self service.

Those of you seeing it, are you all making apps available via self service? Just trying to find a common thread, or maybe we're just lucky so far?

RLR
Valued Contributor

We're pushing our apps to install automatically. It seems a bit hit and miss. Some iPads getting them and some not. Keep having to run database commands to clear failed attempts so the apps can try again.