Re-enrolling DEP iPads that have been deleted from the JSS

Caleb_Anderson
New Contributor III

Is there any non-user initiated way to get an iPad that is still enrolled, but deleted from the JSS, to appear back in the JSS?

This is hypothetical, but was just having a discussion with a co-worker about if someone accidentally removed one of our iPads from the JSS, what process we would have to go through to get it back in the JSS so we had control over it again.

Is there anything special we can do with an iPad in DEP or is it just up to a fresh re-enrollment through the browser on the device?

11 REPLIES 11

twall
New Contributor III

If the MDM profile is marked as non-removable, a browser re-enrollment will fail, since an iPad is only able to be enrolled in one MDM at a time. It requires a wipe and re-enroll, unfortunately.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I restrict the deleting of devices from the JSS so it can't be done by my front line techs, reserving it for more experienced admins only.

nporter
New Contributor

So your hypothetical has become my reality. I have an iPad that still enrolled but has been deleted from the JSS. I am looking for a way to get it back in the JSS. I like the wipe, re-enroll option mentioned above but can't figure out how to wipe, re-enroll without it being in the JSS.

Any ideas or procedures greatly appreciated.

Also, if I remove it from the DEP can I get it back in the DEP?

Thanks

tomhastings
Contributor II

I too have experienced this problem. Once we had all the asset tag numbers in the iPad record we would not remove them from inventory, because we would also lose the asset number, but it still happened from time to time. There is a new feature in Jamf Pro 10.9 called Inventory Preload. You can upload a CSV that can be used to populate inventory information at enrollment, (Settings > Global Management > Inventory Preload). I have been told by Jamf that this only works for iOS. I recommend that you test this out to see if it helps and then report back.

If a iOS device is removed from DEP, it can be loaded back by using Apple Configurator 2. Search Jamf Nation for the process, it is fairly simple but you need to know that the end user can remove the assignment within 30 days. I used this method when we received 20 iPads that were not purchased properly. I enrolled them as set them aside for 30+ days.

mmcallister
Contributor II

@nporter Erase the iPad via the Settings app. The iPad will reenroll and create an entry in the JSS during activation.

nporter
New Contributor

@mmcallister Thanks for the info. Sadly the, erase all content and settings function has been excluded in the enrollment configuration so we do not have that as an option. That makes things seemingly impossible. Hoping for some magic ideas to shed us of the predicament we find ourselves in.

nporter
New Contributor

@tomhastings Thanks for the Inventory Preload advice I will try it out and see if it solves the issue.

Reimz
New Contributor

Did you have any luck with this situation? I have found myself in the same spot now with a deleted device from the inventory, that still has the MDM assigned with no way to wipe the ipad

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Once the device record is gone it's gone forever until the device is reenrolled. For a single device plug it into a Mac running Apple Configurator and start the iPad in DFU/restore mode and restore it. 

mholmanBCSD
New Contributor

Having a similar issue, I can't attach via USB to use AC2, erase all contents and settings has been turned off. Hoping I didn't just brick this thing

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@mholmanBCSD Unfortunately in your instance you'll need to attach it via usb to wipe and restore it? Are you saying that you can't use AC2 because of a restriction or because it's not working? Have you tried booting the iPad in restore mode (power off then back on and hold both power and home buttons until you get the iTunes logo)?