Re-enrollment of wiped/unmanaged iPads

tmym
New Contributor

We are currently preparing for the small-scale iPad deployment, and this is the first time for us to manage iOS devices with Jamf. In our computer lab, students will check out and check in the devices at the counter.

We would like to:

(1) wipe the returned iPad - any personal information must be deleted
(2) re-enroll them in Jamf and get all the configuration policies - ready for next user

As this is the small-scale daily operation (as opposed to the 'end of term wipe/re-enrollment), the process needs to be done by staff at the counter, who has no or limited access to the JSS.

Is it doable with JSS? What would you suggest the best practice for this workflow? Is it necessary for the devices to be added to ASM (currently not as they were purchased at the non-Apple store).

I appreciate any suggestions and tips!

5 REPLIES 5

CSCC-JS
Contributor II

This article is about the Jamf Reset app for mobile devices.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/559/configuring-and-deploying-the-jamf-reset-app

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

@tmym Yes, this is possible. You will don't need Jamf Reset, but I would recommend it. That's how your staff will initiate the wipe.

You will definitely need Apple School Manager so you can assign them to re-enroll automatically.

Since you say they are not already in ASM, look into the Provisional Enrollment process. Here's a video for Adding iOS Devices to DEP with Apple Configurator 2.5.

tmym
New Contributor

Thank you, @CSCC-JS and @scottblake, for your quick response and advice! I'll take a look at Jamf Reset today. As for 'Adding iOS devices to DEP with Apple Cofigurator 2.5,' I followed workflow 2 on this page. It seems to be the same as the video you suggested, @mscottblake. The devices are enrolled and supervised, but still not added to ASM. I'll go over the steps one more time.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

The Apple Configurator portion is to put them into ASM. I suspect you have something set wrong in that process. My guess is that you have "Activate and complete enrollment" selected. If so, deselect it and you should be all good.

user-UqxSeTiUNs
New Contributor

Just seeing this discussion. I wish to wipe and re-enroll 32 iPads remotely but we have to use Jamf School with Apple Business Manager as we are a Music Service, not a school. Could Jamf Reset work for us? I'm trying not to lose the Profiles as the team I'm working with do not have a Mac that is new enough to work with Apple Configurator. Thanks in anticipation.