Ready or not - iOS7

JKling
New Contributor III

So, I sat down today to config 100 iPads for students and lo and behold, Apple Configurator installs iOS7, but cannot add backup image or the profiles.

Is there a good way to do this? Is Apple Configurator still the product to use to mass config iPads? I am really getting jammed up by this.

12 REPLIES 12

nsdjoe
Contributor II

I wonder when Apple will release an updated Configurator to take advantage of some of the new iOS 7 features...

JKling
New Contributor III

I agree, but I just need one that will let me save a backup and deploy it to the other 99 devices.

As is runs right now, I get an "unable to communicate with device" error and then I am stuck.

jbrummer
New Contributor

Does this help at all?

http://www.enterpriseios.com/story/2013/08/13/Apple_Configurator_131_restores_mass_profile_installation_if_you_know_the_secret_ke

JKling
New Contributor III

I actually do not get that screen. I already 2 profile in there. My 802.1x Wifi settings and an enroll shortcut I created...

Let me goof around with it for a few minutes.

<edit> ahh there it is... </edit>

JKling
New Contributor III

OK, I think I have it.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Apple Configurator v1.4 is now available :)

cgordy
Contributor

I might be the only person left who's not using configurator.
I build a Golden Master iPad for my cart scenario - let it backup to the macbook.
Once the other 29 ipads are plugged into the cart, I let iTunes just install that backup file - it goes by in no time flat and I just rename the device right before I run my QR code to do OTA URL enrollment.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hey Chad,
You aren't alone :) We also use iTunes and restore a "master" encrypted backup via iTunes for our staff iPads and some student iPads when we "image" them. We also use QR code for staff OTA enrollment (sounds we have a lot in common!) We use AC for classrooms where we are supervising iPads in carts. Just using the right tools for the right scenario. :)
~Joe

cgordy
Contributor

Cool Joe!
I have used AC once - to mass update iOS on some first gen ipads that needed deployed quickly.
Other than that, meh.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

We used to do the iTunes backup method, but it was too time consuming as you can only restore one device at a time and our restore took 15+ minutes (50 apps plus 100+ PDFs)... at least last time I tested a few months back.

Now we use configurator to do OS updates and install wireless/enrollment profiles. Then plugin devices and set them to 'sync all new apps' in iTunes - then setup itunes library and let them sync 40 devices at a time. Saves us weeks of work.

fgsdepinon
New Contributor

We updated to Apple Configurator 1.4, and are experiencing the same problem with backups not acutually applying, as users still need to go through the initial iOS 7 setup that we already went through in building the template device. We use Apple Configurator because we have a large number of VPP apps that we need on each device. Does iTunes allow the importing of VPP spreadsheets? We don't currently import the VPP spreadsheets into JSS because we don't want the user to have to enter an Apple ID to complete the app install on the device. Does JSS v8.72 or v9.1 with iOS7 now allow the pushing of apps without the end user needing to enter an Apple ID to complete the install?

JKling
New Contributor III

OK, so I tried JBrummers link, but no dice. My main issue right now is I am trying to use Apple Configurator to setup 100 student iPads. I am using non-supervised mode. I am restoring a backup from a master iPad I setup. The only settings are a webclip to the JSS enroll and a 802.1x wireless setup.

I choose the backup image I am looking to use and did the option+click trick to choose the WiFi profile I pulled from my JSS.

The Prepare completes. I am at the Hello screen. I continue to the WiFi screen, it is just spinning on the correct network. I assume this may be a certificate issue. If I do a Next, then enable location services, I get the main screen. If I go to settings, there are no profiles(unless 7 moved the location from the bottom of General).

I can go in and Forget the network then reenter the password and it connects. This is a killer though because it is a pretty complex password that I do not want to type 100 times...

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues? Please post a process if you have figured it out. Thanks