Reboot Dialog Warning Box

Not applicable

I am trying to figure out a way to get a dialog box to notify users of the the fact that software updates have been installed and they need to reboot their machine. All of the scripts etc I have tried error out with a time out message or an AppleEvent Time Out and usually the dialog disappears when this happens. This is not acceptable because then the user may not see it if they are out to lunch etc and then we get calls about their computer acting strange.
Ideally I would like to deploy an application to the users machine with the sole purpose of popping up on their dock and having a dialog and telling them to restart. I have tried to do this with the included scripts and the window stays up, but eventually a second window appears saying AppleEvent Timed Out. This looks buggy for the user perspective and also, once this happens the restart button on the dialog box does nothing. Also, while the dialog box is up, Finder is hosed and unusable.
The idea is with software update run a script that tells the pre- installed app to open and that is all the casper script does, then the program opens and stays open indefinitely. any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if this could be quickly coded with cocoa so that it is not relying on Apple Script that would be awesome. Thanks so much.

:::
griffin stewart | technology solutions administrator
north point ministries|678.892.5857
computer.help at northpoint.org
art.northpoint.org

4 REPLIES 4

ernstcs
Contributor III

Griffin

I cant see the scpt on my phone, but are you using the jamf binary at all to display messages?

I think it's just

jamf displayMessage 'message here'

But you can use that if you are not currently. Just double check the jamf binary help for syntax.

Also, this will not display, last I knew, at a logon screen, but who cares for a reboot then.

Craig Ernst
UW-Eau Claire
(715) 836-3639

Sent from my iPhone

PeterG
Contributor II

I have installed BigHonkingText on all machines and call it whenever i need a Big message to appear on the screen. The finder stays usable underneath the message.

Peter

Bukira
Contributor

Have a look at ihook, u could design and ihook .hook to display a msg and an ok button to click, that would be perfect, I use ihook to display images at logout or after packages are installed , u can set the size, background pic and ok button plus echo commands

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

You can invoke shell commands from Apple scripts and vice versa.

So, if you were using the software update command, you could use osascript to have the finder display a dialog box, and so forth.

I do this via self service usually, and since self service is a web app I use basic HTML to display in giant red letters, that their system will be rebooted when they run this policy.

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
blackberry: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351