Recon hanging on Finding Extension Attributes

apple4ever
New Contributor

Recently, our 10.8 users have been complaining of computers being stuck at "Checking Policies" and not shutting down. In my investigation, I found that running a recon seems to hang on Finding extension attributes (that's what happens when ssh'd in or locally). Anybody know how to fix it?

I found two problems that make it hard to diagnose- there is no log of what attribute is being checked, and there is no way to disable an attribute. It would be great if the interface would allow enabling and disabling attributes- instead you'd have to delete it to stop checking. Which is annoying when you have 15 with custom scripts.

Any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

run sudo jamf recon -verbose. That will show each Extension Attribute as it runs and should help you pinpoint exactly which EA its getting hung up on. Most likely something in the script is causing the EA to go into some kind if endless loop that you'll need to fix.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mm2270

run sudo jamf recon -verbose. That will show each Extension Attribute as it runs and should help you pinpoint exactly which EA its getting hung up on. Most likely something in the script is causing the EA to go into some kind if endless loop that you'll need to fix.

apple4ever
New Contributor

Excellent! I don't know why I didn't think to check verbose mode. DUH!

Still, I think being able to disable an extension attribute would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Jpcorzo
Contributor

Hey guys, just wanted to write on this thread even thou it shows as resolved, i have a quick question, so i'm experiencing the same issue with recon getting stuck on endless loop when trying to submit app inventory updates (specifically for citrix receiver). Is there a reason why this behavior? I've found that uninstall the application and reinstalling it fixes this, but just wanted to check if you were aware of why this ?

Thanks

mm2270

@jpcorzo, what version of the JSS?

Jpcorzo
Contributor

@mm2270 we are running version 8.6

mm2270

Then upgrade to at least version 8.64 or preferably 8.71. We saw some sporadic issues of clients hanging on recons when we were still on 8.63 and earlier, but since upgrading to 8.71 that has calmed down. I think there were still some application collection bugs in the earlier versions.

Jpcorzo
Contributor

Thanks, i will go ahead and give that a try and let you know.
I appreciate your help

Jpcorzo
Contributor

I upgraded to version 8.71 and tried running recon on one of the devices being affected by this behavior and the issue persists. I realized it is the same behavior that it is experienced with this application:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=5775
(Adobe SpeedGrade CS6) and looks like a broken link with the application contents.

For Citrix Receiver it happens to be the same case, but this time with the Receiver Updater.app, i deleted this file from
/Applications/Citrix/Receiver Updater.app and looks like it did the trick, recon no longer gets stuck.