Redeeming codes for already owned apps

dpenny
New Contributor III

We are having a problem with users redeeming codes through the self-service app for apps that they already own. I didn't think this would be a problem because iTunes allows you to re-download any apps you have purchased without charging you a second (or third) time. I was under the impression that when a user attempted to redeem a code through the self-service app, they would be taken the App Store and told they already own the app and can re-download it free of charge. Instead, it actually redeems the code and marks it as used in JSS. I hoping I missed some setting that should prevent this, but it seems more like an Apple problem. Has anyone else experience this issue?

5 REPLIES 5

dpenny
New Contributor III

Just trying to bump this... Has no one else run into an issue with this?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

Does the iTunes store agree that the code has been redeemed or is it just the JSS that thinks the code has been redeemed? We ran into an issue where someone clicked on self service and was taken over the the App store and they canceled the installation of the app and the code was marked as redeemed in JSS even though I was able to manually use that code in the App Store. I wonder if you are experiencing something similar.

dpenny
New Contributor III

No, the code is actually redeemed. I just tried to redeem one of the codes I had tested in iTunes and was told the code was not valid because it had already been redeemed. Just to recap, this is an example of what we are running into:

1. User previously purchased Numbers.
  2. User forgets that they previously purchased Numbers and chooses to install Numbers through the self-service app.
  3. VPP code for Numbers is redeemed even though Numbers is already associated with the iTunes account.

It looks like this is a problem with the App Store, not necessarily JAMF. While the App Store does not charge you to "re-purchase" already owned apps, they do not prevent you from redeeming codes for already owned apps. I will be opening a bug report with Apple about the issue.

gorskij
New Contributor

we are running into the similar problem with downloading apps ourselves. I wonder if jamf has a work around for this or is this just an apple thing?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Outside of Casper/JSS, I have accidentally redeemed a code for an app within an Apple ID that already had the app, and it let me and used up the code.