rEFInd

franton
Valued Contributor III

Is anyone else deploying this as a convenient boot manager? I've a package i've made with a postflight script to bless rEFInd's .efi file. Works great when deployed via Casper Remote. Fails to work after deployment as part of a Casper Imaging sequence.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

tep
Contributor II

I've been using rEFIt with pretty good success. I add it to a policy - run once at startup.

View solution in original post

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

We have moved from rEFIt to rEFInd as there was an issues that some Macs (10.8.2) boot into a grey screen at the first boot after rEFIt install. Even after NVRAM reset it was very inconstant.
We have to do a NVRAM reset for both methods anyway.

Created a PKG with a Postflight script to install rEFInd and works fine at imaging;

#!/bin/sh
## postflight
##
## Not supported for flat packages.
pathToScript=$0
pathToPackage=$1
targetLocation=$2
targetVolume=$3

$3/private/tmp/refind/./install.sh

exit 0## Success
exit 1## Failure

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

tep
Contributor II

I've been using rEFIt with pretty good success. I add it to a policy - run once at startup.

franton
Valued Contributor III

Should have thought of that sooner. Thanks for that!

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

We have moved from rEFIt to rEFInd as there was an issues that some Macs (10.8.2) boot into a grey screen at the first boot after rEFIt install. Even after NVRAM reset it was very inconstant.
We have to do a NVRAM reset for both methods anyway.

Created a PKG with a Postflight script to install rEFInd and works fine at imaging;

#!/bin/sh
## postflight
##
## Not supported for flat packages.
pathToScript=$0
pathToPackage=$1
targetLocation=$2
targetVolume=$3

$3/private/tmp/refind/./install.sh

exit 0## Success
exit 1## Failure

franton
Valued Contributor III

That's the same idea but better implemented to what I had. My postflight script was trying to set the startup disk. Your technique actually works wheras mine doesn't :)

tep
Contributor II

I've been meaning to switch to rEFInd, but my rEFIt package still works. I have just been delaying the inevitable.