register/deregister Geometer's Sketchpad

dmohs
Contributor

Our school uses McGraw-Hill's app Geometer's Sketchpad 5.06. The vendor requires that each installation be registered via their central server. Thus, before uninstallation, we must deregister with their central server.

The registration/deregistration process can be done via either the GUI or a remote command. I rely upon Casper policies to execute the commands. As of the start of our last semester, this worked great in CasperSuite 9.6.

However, our school now utilizes CasperSuite 9.72. The same unedited policies are failing.

Sample command (edited for privacy reasons)...

/Applications/GSP5.app/Contents/MacOS/GSP5_Rel_KCPT_31_105 -license deregister -name "Our School Name" -code A1B2CD-EF34GH-JKLMNP-QRS5TU

If I attempt to run this command via either Casper Remote or via a Casper policy, the following is logged...

Result of command:
The license name or authorization code is invalid. Please try again.

I assume something changed between Casper 9.6 and 9.72. Perhaps as it relates to quotation marks? Suggestions?

If I copy/paste this command into the local machine's Terminal window, it executes perfectly.

9 REPLIES 9

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@dmohs, is the serial format correct? I usually run the command WITHOUT the dashes "-" in the serial. I'm running 9.65, but handed this over to puppet prior to updating. I'll try in the morning and see if I can duplicate your findings. I also turned over Fathom to puppet as well

LS

dmohs
Contributor

Though not the solution, I appreciate the response of @LSinNY .

Using the serial numbers without hyphenation fails via Casper. If copied/pasted to the local machine in Terminal, it works just fine.

Minor update: According to logs, this complication did not exist in March when our server was running JSS 9.61.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@dmohs

seeing the same thing from a test VM running 9.72..strange.. Wish Mcgraw-Hill would allow an onsite KMS like Texas instruments...one can dream

LS

dmohs
Contributor

Replacing the double quotes around the school name (") with single quotes (') seems to be the workaround within CasperSuite 9.72.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

On a side note, I've experienced this sort of thing with other software vendors before. We setup an understanding by which we would call and have all of our licenses 'reset' or 'deregistered' once a year before school started. Just throwing that out there. By the way, I hate licensing like this and I'm glad you figured it out.

Tullis
New Contributor

Using the single quotations worked for me this morning. Also, putting the scripts (register/deregister)into Casper Admin made it very easy to register and deregister the application. Thank you to all those who posted in this string, it was very helpful.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@dmohs I ran into the same issue using double quotes in the Execute Command box in the Files and Processes payload. JAMF confirmed a a defect (D-008699) regarding the behavior you are seeing. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future release. I don't think it's an issue if you execute the commands using a script though.

dwaterbury
New Contributor III

I'm new to Casper and having trouble registering/de-registering GSP5. Running v9.91 and I've tried running the script above with Double (") and Single (') quotes around the school name. Wondering if anyone has any other advice. Thank you.

dwaterbury
New Contributor III

Please ignore my earlier post. I did not set the permissions on the script properly. I was successful with Single Quotes (') and no dashes (-) in the serial number.