Reload Jamf Binary

steve_summers
Contributor III

Hey all.  I have a Mac that I'm trying to get to check-in with our Jamf server.  It's not checked in since April.  I think the Jamf binary needs to be reloaded somehow, but since the QuickAdd is being deprecated, what's the best manner to get the binary reloaded?  

I've taken a few steps from a few posts about verifying the LaunchDaemon is on the Mac and the permissions are correct, rebooting and running a recon, but the machine says "Command not found".  I feel like reloading the binary would fix it, but not sure now the best manner to do so since like I mentioned, the QuickAdd is deprecated. 

Thanks. 

9 REPLIES 9

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

You can still run the quickadd package on the device and it will re-install the binary

steve_summers
Contributor III

@DBrowning , seems like I have used the binary in another situation before and the machine came up unsupervised.  Have you used it lately? 

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

We use the quickadd in relations to https://github.com/rtrouton/CasperCheck   Have not looked at whether the machine comes back as unsupervised.  

steve_summers
Contributor III

I just ran a test re-enroll and using the QuickAdd seemed to work just fine.  Still wondering where I saw a Mac would be Unsupervised if it was used.  

Anyway, thanks @DBrowning .  

tonio_d_monio
New Contributor II

Is it a Mac with Big Sur in it?  It wouldn’t load the MDM, since the profiles command had changed in big sur.  Thats probably why you’re getting the Unsupervised bit.

Also i guess its not a DEP (or ABM) device?

Hey @ tonio_d_monio, it actually is a DEP device and yes, Big Sur. --

=============
Steve Summers

Oh, thats bizzarre… usually DEP’s have them supervised.

I had a fleet of unsupervised largely because its using QuickAdd to enroll (non-DEP Asian country), and not thru UAE.  

Could this unit have been enrolled the same way?

ricardtolosa
New Contributor III

Hi @steve_summers, if a machine is not checking sometimes it's because a policy is stuck and it's blocking the binary. Try a "sudo killall jamf" and then run a recon and see if it works for you.

steve_summers
Contributor III

@ricardtolosa , I TOTALLY forgot about that command.... DOH!

Thanks for the reminder, I'll try it out and see if it works.