Remote Access to Lab Macs?

jkarpenske
New Contributor III

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, our University is stopping face-to-face instruction for a couple weeks. I’ve been asked if there is a secure way to allow students to remote into lab machines to complete coursework (since those Macs have specialized software only available in the labs.) Any suggestions?

15 REPLIES 15

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Thats ugly...This might work: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/08/22/using-directory-membership-to-manage-apple-remote-desktop-permissions/

Given the changes in ARD with 10.14 though...test carefully or consider using a TeamViewer approach.

Also may I inquire what the software titles are? Even the coronavirus scare, and your situation at a university...It may be that the software developer might be willing to issue a it may be that the software developer might be willing to issue temporary, expiring licenses to allow the students to install this on their home stuff until the term ends. Doubtful but it’s worth a try. If It’s Adobe software, we would probably be prepared to Temporarily add some named user licenses To get us through the rest of the year and hand them out as requested after verifying academic need.

dtmille2
Contributor III

We could possibly get to the point where we have a similar situation here at our college. Don't think there is a feasible way to do this with Mac labs that I have seen. Now trying to enable Always On VPN for our Mac employee users that need it.

jkarpenske
New Contributor III

@blackholemac Thanks, I'll take a look at Rich's article and see if that might work. The software titles are specific to the Graphic Communications program here at the University - things like Kodak's Preps and Prinergy, FontXplorer X Pro, XMPie, and a suite of Esko software (just to mention a few!) :)

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

@jkarpenske I would be calling those vendors...obviously this is on the news. They might help you. As a graphic design person before I switched to IT, your program and situations are close to my heart even though I work in K-12 edu now. Your challenge is in the raw fonts...I know you can't contact every font bureau and try to do that. I'm so glad we aren't in the days of booby trapped fonts anymore...I shudder at some of the Mac OS 9 fonts I had to fight with back in the day needing the original disks to install them and everything! I see myself in your boat within the month but on a much smaller scale...if they close down the school district for e-learning days, I'm going to have to try my own suggestions to get Adobe to play ball for our art and business kids because they won't be able to do much, even if they have a computer at home. Our district is 70% free and reduced lunch or more.

koszyczj
New Contributor III

I have been in contact with Adobe regarding our ETLA and student access on personal devices. Adobe has stated they will be announcing a program tomorrow.

dtmille2
Contributor III

That’s interesting news @koszyczj that is interesting news! I will be on the lookout for specifics, as this pertains to us for sure.

koszyczj
New Contributor III

@dtmille2 They did announce the program this morning... https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/covid-19-education-labs.html

Randydid
Contributor II

I too am looking for a solution to this. Ultimately I am looking for a way that is easily supportable too, as I have limited resources.

/randy

Randydid
Contributor II

Bump

martyuiop1
New Contributor III

Have you looked at NoMachine?
https://www.nomachine.com/

warren_h
New Contributor

The issue that we've run into with software like NoMachine and even just a straight vnc:// connection from VPN is the computer won't authenticate a remote user unless that user's profile already exists on the system (whether it be a mobile account or otherwise).

Has anybody been able to remedy this?

Randydid
Contributor II

@martyuiop I just tried it. Our labs are behind the school firewall and even if I could use it, the DHCP lease could/would be an issue.

Teamviewer seems to transverse our firewall, but the issue becomes the sharing of credentials and security. I do not want our security team to jump on me for that! :-)

pblake
Contributor III

Anyone find a tool or solution they would recommend for remote macOS Labs?

FutureFacinLuke
Contributor II

@warren_h for vpn non existing users had to use domain/username for AD bound devices where they don’t have a user in place. I’m going to test this with nomachine

jhuls
Contributor III

Has anyone looked into the remote access with LabStats?