Remote Database JSS

sgoetz
Contributor

I looked around in the web app on both V8 and V9 and can't find a place to point to a remote database instead of using the local one. Does anyone know how to update this? Or can this only be done during install?

8 REPLIES 8

dmw3
Contributor III

Shawn, do you mean a second instance of the JSS? How remote is this?

khowe
New Contributor II

Depends on your OS most likely but on my Ubuntu server the information is here:

/usr/local/jss/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/xml/DataBase.xml

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It's also an option when installing the JSS.

simbimbo
New Contributor

But use caution if deploying version 9 of the JSS along with JDS as all files are first copied into the database, then copied to the JDS instances. I found this out the hard way when I was on our corporate MySQL server located in a different datacenter and I used Casper Admin to load one of our large monolithic images (20g). It was taking forever, and I got a call from the SQL admins asking why my db had grown to over 10g (specifically the downloadable_file_chunk_data table). I have since reverted to a single machine hosting both the JSS and MySQL to keep the speeds up and the phone calls from upset SQL admins down ;-)

sgoetz
Contributor

dmw3 - I mean that the JSS app will be on my Mac Server and the Database will be in the datacenter on one of the prod servers.

Thank you guys! I will run with this and see what happens. I haven't upgraded yet to JAMF 9 but will eventually!

Shawn

hkim
Contributor II

Wait. What? @simbimbo are you saying that if you choose to run JDS, the packages end up in the MySQL database, at least temporarily? But .. why? That makes no sense, especially if we're talking about multi GB sized files.

hkim
Contributor II

Wait. What? @simbimbo are you saying that if you choose to run JDS, the packages end up in the MySQL database, at least temporarily? But .. why? That makes no sense, especially if we're talking about multi GB sized files.

Josh_S
Contributor III

@hkim, yes.

The original upload will upload the file to the JSS and insert it into the mySQL database, temporarily. After it is uploaded, it will replicate out to the root JDS and then will be removed from the mySQL database. Any child JDS's will then distribute packages depending on the JDS parent/child relationships.

As for "why". I have a lot of ideas about why this likely makes the most sense, but I haven't heard anything concrete.