Remote management - tips?

pandrum
New Contributor III

We're looking into remote management for our fleet of Macs. Mostly MBPs.

Curious what you use in your environment. Apple Remote Desktop? TeamViewer? Jamf Remote? Any other software?

8 REPLIES 8

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

ARD. Apple's built-in Screen Sharing app. Sometimes Jamf Remote.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We use ARD and the screen sharing. Either will get the job done.

joshuasee
Contributor III

ARD on site, Bomgar if off site.

If you already have Jamf and thus Jamf Remote for performing actions on computers, you may well be content with Screen Sharing on your LANs and Bomgar or TeamViewer outside them.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Casper/JAMF Remote here. External users connect via VPN and all is well. Keeps a good log as well.

acaveny
New Contributor III

Hello,

Seeing as this is the most recent thread....

I keep seeing random machines that I cannot connect to. From what I understand, Remote Management must be enabled under System Preferences -> Sharing. Can this be confirmed?

If so - how do you manage the list of users? Having All-Users enabled seems unsecure to me.

cmakinsi
New Contributor II

We use Apple Remote Desktop

acaveny
New Contributor III

ARD is $80 per license on the AppStore and is getting crap reviews. Is it worth it? Screen share in JAMF remote is inconsistent. I have an open ticket trying to track down why it works for some machines and not others...

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

We've got ARD as well... not fantastic but it fits a nitch. It's easier to get live connections to the remote units (on network) as Casper Remote can sometimes have a delay in getting the current IP of a unit in some environments. We use a combination of the two, however, I prefer Casper Remote. Now, if there was an offsite responder (thinking mDNS style) then Casper Remote would be far better.