Remote Wipe Clarification

sudoadmin
New Contributor

Apologies if this is a rudimentary question, but I can't seem to find a concrete answer anywhere.

Periodically, our org needs to wipe machines and we'll use the Wipe Computer command in Jamf Pro. I'm finding that sometimes when the computer is wiped, the latest OS (Big Sur) will be installed. Other times, the machine will be downgraded to a previous version of macOS (e.g. Catalina to Mojave). I'm having trouble pinpointing why. Is the Wipe Computer command equivalent to Shift-Option-Command-R, Option-Command-R, or neither? Is there any particular reason why the results from running the command from Jamf would differ?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

lucas_cantor
New Contributor III

My understanding is that the remote wipe command literally wipes the Mac’s disk, leaving it without any version of macOS installed at all.

I’d guess that folks in your org are subsequently reinstalling macOS through different mechanisms, resulting in different macOS versions.

Per Apple’s docs:

On an Intel-based Mac:

Choose Apple menu > Restart, then immediately press and hold one of these key combinations, depending on what you want to do, until you see a spinning globe appear: Install the latest version of macOS compatible with your computer: Press and hold Option-Command-R. Reinstall your computer’s original version of macOS (including available updates): Press and hold Shift-Option-Command-R. Reinstall the version of macOS stored on your computer’s built-in recovery disk: Press and hold Command-R.

On a Mac with Apple silicon:

Choose Apple menu > Shut Down, press and hold the power button until you see “Loading startup options,” select Options, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

YLIL
New Contributor II

Im rather new to this but from the research i have done I think its bc the Macs ssd is factory partitioned and the original OS the mac came with still remains on the hidden partition and thats what its reinstalling.
Not sure if this is true but this is what I understand