Remotely Erase and Install Specific Image?

mattmghost
New Contributor II

Hi all. So we've got some Macs in the data center that we use and probably will be getting more eventually. As we grow, is it possible to use either Jamf or some other software to remotely erase the Macs, reinstall the OS from scratch, and have a user ready to go at any time we want? That way our engineers can ask for a clean macOS in case someone does something dumb or they want just a clean slate on that box. Is there either something in Jamf that'll let us do that or some other software I could use in tandem with Jamf to get this working? Or is it just not possible? We use Intel Mac Minis at the moment but obviously as we get our code working on M1's, we'll eventually be using those.

6 REPLIES 6

scottb
Honored Contributor

Lots of possibilities, but I would look into Graham Pugh's #erase-install.

Erase-Install Github 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mattmghost As @scottb mentions, erase-install is a great tool for this, and will even accommodate the prompt for the Secure Token required for M series Macs.

Once your environment gets to macOS Monterey as the standard things will get much simpler because you'll then be able to use the Erase All Contents and Setting feature it added (see https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/whats-new-dep950aed53e/1/web/1.0) which will remove the user partition while keeping the OS partition intact which gets you back into the Setup Assistant for a fresh configuration without having to erase the drive and do a re-install, typically in les than 5 minutes.

scottb
Honored Contributor

As @sdagley states - "EACS" will make everyone's life better!  You can reset a Mac in minutes and have it ready to roll.  It's a godsend for testing as well!

mattmghost
New Contributor II

I see that's a feature, but the engineers are more looking for a "erase and then reinstall a specific image" type of use case. Is there software I can deploy that would do something similar, like what Apple has in their stores that resets their Macs back to a previous state after a certain time that instead can be triggered manually?

scottb
Honored Contributor
Well, if the above doesn't answer it, then get the "engineers" to figure it out? There's so much possible with the info above that I sense you've not tried any of it yet. Between the above and the Jamf Pro Admin Manual, you should be able to get started on something...

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mattmghost Unfortunately the --eraseinstall option for the startosinstall tool embedded in Apple's macOS installer apps does not allow downgrading the OS on a Mac so that isn't an option. I don't know if MDS from TwoCanoes (https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/mac-deploy-stick/) addresses that situation, but it's probably worth a look.