Remove apps from VPP assignment list

tryckman
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am new to Jamf after recently migrating from Airwatch. In Airwatch I could remove apps we were no longer using from the VPP managed distribution list. This allowed us to reduce clutter and make things easier to find. Is there a way to accomplish this in the JSS?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

That's not a feature, no. Once you buy it you own it. Curious what the rational was for this feature in Airwatch. For the most part you interact with your VPP content from the Users > Search Content page.

tryckman
New Contributor II

We pushed both free and paid apps via managed distribution. The feature allowed us to delete apps from the apps list that we were no longer using. It helped to limit clutter. We are going to use JSS Self-Service for free apps and I wish there was a way I could delete all of free apps we no longer going to need VPP licenses for.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Assigning apps and pushing apps are de-coupled in Casper. In Airwatch I think it's just one action; just had this conversation a couple days ago with an AirWatch user. In Casper, you independently assign an app to a user, and then, if desired, you assign that app to a device via self service or by pushing the managed app to the device.

To remove an app from self service and/or being pushed to newly enrolled iPads, you go to Devices, then Apps and you can remove an app from there and it's gone from all lists and cleans things up nicely.

In Casper, you only deal with assigning apps to users for paid ones, in the users tab. You can completely unassign apps from users in there and they'll just sit in the purchased apps area hidden away from everyone except a JSS administrator.

kglover
New Contributor

I know this is old, but if anyone still wants to remove un-used apps from the vpp list to unclutter it.
Shhh. You need to edit the database.
mobile_device_apps is the table your looking for.
deleted is the field. Change it to 1 and Casper ignores it. Need it again? Switch it back to 0.