Handful of of Computer's Names changing after logout?

tcarlson
New Contributor III

Hi,

We have a policy using the option "Change the computer name on computers to match the computer name in the JSS" and we have it check in a login and logout. Everything is working fine, except for a few computers I will watch via ARD and they will switch to the naming convention they were pre-enrollment..ie Macbook air (2) ...etc after log out. This is only on a handful computers. Some will keep the name of the computer that is on the JSS. These are teacher computers and it is helpful if the computer name is the teacher name for management purposes. Any info would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@tcarlson because of timing issues with update inventory I found that it's safer to just manually set the computer name when I notice one that isn't set correctly. We have a very specific naming scene so it's easy for me to see when a computer is properly named. I have a simple policy that uses the Files and Processes payload that I can use to set the computer name. I execute the following command in the box:

scutil --set ComputerName 'Name_of_Computer';jamf recon

I simply clone the policy that isn't scoped to any computers change the "Name_of_Computer" to what it should be, scope the policy to the correct computer and enable it and save it. Then at the next check in the policy executes and the name is changed. Then I just delete the policy to clean up after myself.

tcarlson
New Contributor III

I've tried a number of things including the above script and still getting the same results. I change the name on the JSS, change the name on the computer and after a period of time, usually over night it reverts back to 'macbook-air-2' etc. This happens with a reset name policy enabled or disabled. Any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks