Removing iPads

jsotelo
New Contributor

Hi I have a question for removing iPads from our jamf inventory. I work in a small school district and we are planning on getting rid of all our iPad 2's and replace them with iPad 4's. My question is what is the necessary steps to remove the iPads from our jamf inventory and thoroughly unmanage/disenroll/disown so none of our profiles is on the ipad when we sell them to another party.

1 REPLY 1

strider_knh
Contributor II

1) If they are all configured and running already then the easiest way to prep them for sale is to send a wipe command from the JSS. This will remove all person data and profiles, turns it back into a fresh device. Considering how they are used, you may need to go out and touch each device to power it on so the command is received.

1b) If you use AppleIDs or allow them, make sure the wipe commands also includes the unlock bypass. This will disassociated the device from the AppleID and allow the purchaser to get through setup.

2) Once that is done, delete the iPad from the JSS. This can be done using an advanced search by model, if you are getting rid of all iPad 2s.

3) Finally, remove them from DEP once they are sold, if you are using DEP. That way the person you sold them to can go through setup. Be careful at this step since once it is out of DEP you can not put it back.

Besides these steps there is not much else that needs to be done.