Removing Logic Pro Licenses in JAMF Pro

biehlm
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to JAMF so forgive me if I am not using terms correctly. I work at a college and we have Logic Pro installed on 15 2020 M1 Mac Minis. We recently were hit by a blizzard, a pipe bust, and flooded that lab. Now those machines have been lost due to water damage. Naturally we are trying to find an alternative set up with different machines. 

I need to free up those license and apply them to different machines. Currently, we apply these licenses via the "Assign Content Purchase in Volume" option (as opposed to the VPP codes). Is there a way, using JAMF Pro, that I can strip these licenses from the old machines and apply them to new machines?

Can I just go to Mac Apps-> Logic Pro -> Scope and remove the broken machines to free up licenses? 

We are just a bit unsure and I don't want to make matters worse by just clicking around and seeing what happens.

Let me know what you think!

-Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If JAMF is managing the licenses it should just be a matter of removing the old devices from the scope and adding the new devices to the scope. JAMF will reach out to Apples licensing database via API and update everything. Again this is assuming JAMF has control over the licenses. I have always used VPP, so I am not 100% sure how Content Purchases in Volume works.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If JAMF is managing the licenses it should just be a matter of removing the old devices from the scope and adding the new devices to the scope. JAMF will reach out to Apples licensing database via API and update everything. Again this is assuming JAMF has control over the licenses. I have always used VPP, so I am not 100% sure how Content Purchases in Volume works.

biehlm
New Contributor II

This worked as you outlined it would. As I remove machines from the scope of Logic, the more available licenses open up. I appreciate your feedback! 

biehlm
New Contributor II

I appreciate it! I will let you know how it plays out.