Renew Push Certificate

anonymoez
New Contributor

I have to fill in for a co worker and have to renew the push certificate on several Jamf Pro instances of customers.  Believe it or not, I have never done this before. And although it's not a difficult task I'm having trouble renewing these certs.

The problem I run into is that the customers don't have a Jamf ID (or is not known to them/me). Two questions:

- Do I have to configure the Cloud Connection Services in order to obtain the CSR?

- Does the Jamf ID that's being used have to be a unique ID that's connected to the customer's Jamf subscription? Or can I just use a generic ID (mine for instance) and use that one to generate a CSR for all customers?

5 REPLIES 5

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

@anonymoez The answer is No to both of your questions. You can use any JAMF ID to obtain CSR and does not require Cloud services connection. 

Cloud Services Connection is required for Icon Service, Jamf Platform Integration Service, Title Editor, App Installer etc.

Note: The same Apple ID must be used to renew the APNs certificate that was originally used to generate the certificate.

Thanks.

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

As noted above, the Apple ID used for the APNS cert is the sticking point.  This MUST be the same Apple ID, or you will need to generate a new APNS cert and re-enroll devices.

Jamf has a video that shows this process.

anonymoez
New Contributor

I'm aware of the Apple ID part. The one thing I was not sure about was the required Jamf ID to sign the CSR.
So to be clear: I can sign the CSR within my own Jamf ID portal even though my ID is not affiliated to the customer's Jamf instance in any way? Or does the CSR need to be signed by a Jamf ID connected to the customer's Jamf instance?

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

As stated above by @karthikeyan_mac, the Jamf certificate signing request can be obtained using any Jamf ID.

khustabak
New Contributor

We had our push notification expire, renewed the cert a couple of days after the expiration date (with the same user we have always done). We have done this in the past and were able to communicate / send commands to devices no problem. However, this time we are not able to communicate / send commands. The commands get stuck in Pending. We contacted Jamf support and they had us put the devices in airplane mode to try and reestablish connection but this did not work. They told us we have to wipe the ipads and re-create everything. I find this hard to believe that there is no way around this. I was wondering if you all had some sort of insight to this particular issue. This seems like it would be pretty common.

Thanks!