Resetting iPads for next year- students added their apple id's-how do I remove?

ksordi
New Contributor

Reset all iPads for next year but I have a few where the students added their apple id's so they could listen to music. After the reboot it is requesting their sign-on. How do I remove their apple id?

6 REPLIES 6

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi Kristin,
Those devices are "Activation Locked"
This can happen if the student wipes the device prior to turning off Find My iPad or logging out of iCloud.
The best way to wipe devices is from the JSS, but even then some devices do not successfully turn off Activation Lock despite the prompt that happens before wiping
If you know or can acquire the apple ID/password of the student in question, you or they can go into their iCloud account and delete that device from Find My iPad
If that is not possible then Apple can wipe it for you.
Last time I did this was 11/16, so hopefully this info is correct.
Email is: pv_inst_amr@apple.com

Here is what they want for info (filling in all the bracketed spots and then respond to the questions)

Statement of Ownership and Authority:

UNLOCK AUTHORIZATION STATEMENT: "I [CUSTOMER NAME] representing [BUSINESS/INSTITUTION NAME] authorize Apple, Inc. to unlock the devices listed."

WAS THE DEVICE USED BY AN EMPLOYEE / STUDENT?: WHY IS THE BUSINESS / INSTITUTION UNABLE TO REMOVE FIND MY IPHONE ACTIVATION LOCK?:

PRODUCT SERIAL NUMBER(S): PRODUCT IMEI/MEID: (Cellular devices only) PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

BUSINESS/INSTITUTION NAME: REQUESTER NAME: PHONE NUMBER: STREET ADDRESS: CITY/STATE: POSTAL CODE: EMAIL ADDRESS:

The Statement of Ownership and Authority is a legal affirmation required for Apple to remove Activation Lock from a device owned by a business or Institution. Although a device may be owned by a business or Institution, an Apple ID can belong to an individual. The Statement of Ownership and Authority provides Apple the permission to remove the Apple ID from the affected device.

Reply to this email with the completed form. We’ll confirm we received your email within 2-10 business days and continue to work on your request. For faster turnaround time, please keep the case number in the subject line of your reply.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

This is exactly why we don't allow personal ID's.
I have a Config profile sent to all ipads / iphones to restrict this.
If enrolled in DEP, no problem, if not...

Screwed :-(

I fell your pain!

mradams
Contributor

If we cannot send a wipe command from JSS to the device we restore with iTunes and when prompted to sign in with Apple ID, copy the Activation Lock Bypass Code from the Management Tab for the device in JSS and paste into the password box. I use Apple as a last resort as the time to remove the lock gets longer the farther into summer we get.

mradams
Contributor

lehmanp00
Contributor III

For those who use Managed IDs, it looks like iPads will NOT Activation Lock when you wipe them.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

@mradams Oh yes, I always forget about that Bypass Code since for me it rarely seems to work :(
I have had good response time with the Apple email approach, but it is good to know all avenues for sure!
Sandy