Resource Kit - July 2011

nick
Contributor
Contributor

Hey everyone,

Along with all of the new functionality with Casper Suite 8.2 and Mac OS X 10.7, we've released a new Resource Kit to address a few areas that needed some updates.

Some highlights of the July 2011 Resource Kit include:

Casper NetBoot Automator Action
The Casper NetBoot Automator Action provides a workflow for creating Casper NetBoot images that support Mac OS X 10.7. The Casper NetBoot Automator Action must be used in conjunction with Apple’s System Image Utility version 10.7. The Casper NetInstall Image Creator can still be used to create NetBoot images for Mac OS X 10.5 or Mac OS X 10.6, but is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.7.

3 Sample Self Service Plug-In Bundles

CrashPlan Plug-In.bundle
The CrashPlan Self Service Plug-In Bundle displays the status of Code 42 Software’s CrashPlan PRO product directly within the 8.2 Self Service application.

Norton AntiVirus Plug-In.bundle
The Norton AntiVirus Self Service Plug-In Bundle displays the status of Symantec’s Norton AntiVirus product and allows the end user to perform a virus scan directly within the 8.2 Self Service application

Sophos SafeGuard Plug-In.bundle
The Sophos SafeGuard Self Service Plug-In Bundle displays disk encryption status of Sophos’ SafeGuard product directly within the 8.2 Self Service application.

Please see the full release notes within the Resource Kit at http://www.jamfsoftware.com/downloads/ResourceKit.dmg for a complete listing of all additions and changes found in the July 2011 Resource Kit.

Thanks!

Nick Amundsen
JAMF Software

9 REPLIES 9

noah_swanson
New Contributor

Has anyone upgraded to the latest version? Is there any way to backup the Filevault encryption key to the computer account in the JSS?

Thanks,
Noah

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hey, now that sounds like a challenge being thrown down.
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

nessts
Valued Contributor II

WARNING: You will need your login password or a recovery key to access your data. A recovery key is automatically generated as part of this setup. If you forget both your password and recovery key, the data will be lost.

so I am guessing we just need to find the recovery key…

--
Todd Ness
Technology Consultant/Non-Windows Services
Americas Regional Delivery Engineering
HP Enterprise Services

noah_swanson
New Contributor

I didn't find a com.apple.filevault.plist file so I guess they're being fairly secure about it. At least it seems like they did that right.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Actually, you can set the master recovery key and deploy it as part of the imaging process. When someone goes to encrypt the drive, it will indicate that a recovery key has already been set.

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street

noah_swanson
New Contributor

Then all machines have the same right? That'd also be a security issue for us.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

This is true. It's just an option, that's all.

When I wrote about this sounding like a challenge, what immediately came to mind was to export the filevault keychain to a dropbox share somewhere. Though I don't know what the form of the keychain is and what's required to read it. When I get back into the office tomorrow, I can put it on my list of things to tinker with.

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street

noah_swanson
New Contributor

diskutil cs list

That will give you encryption status. Got to be a bit more to this though...

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

Just FYI for anyone you that are upgrading to CrashPlan PROe 3.2.1 all of the extension attributes and the Self Service plugin are broken. Some could possibly rework the existing scripts to work.