Restarting the Jamf binary when Macs stopping checking in

jamesandre
Contributor

Howdy... I’ve detected an issue where the Jamf binary stops checking in, this can be for hours, days, weeks or even months. This is evident when Macs have run their Inventory Update for "x days". It would appear that the Jamf binary begins its check-in process but never completes, this stops any further check-in attempts as the process is still running and wont attempt to check-in until the original process has completed. If you attempt to manually check-in you will get a similar error to:

This policy trigger is already being run: root 88591 0.0 0.0 34245156 1048 ?? Ss 21Jul22 0:03.85 /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf policy -stopConsoleLogs -randomDelaySeconds 300

I suspect this issue is caused by a network interuption when a policy is running or a script within a policy that cannot complete (the softwareupdated process has been hanging on some versions of macOS Big Sur). There does not appear to be a time-out for the Jamf binary.

CasperCheck or the new Jamf-Management-Framework-Redeploy API function do not resolve ths issue. Killing the Jamf binary resolves the issue and the Mac can check-in with the jamf server again. Since getting access to a Mac that isn't checking-in is can be somewhat difficult, I have made something I am calling "Jamf Restart" which lifts ideas and code from CasperCheck and AppProcessKiller.

Jamf Restart consists of:

• A Launch Daemon ( /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.expample.jamfRestart.plist) that will run the script once a day.
  • A script (/Library/Scripts/jamfRestart.sh) that checks if the process has been running for 1 day or more.
  • A log file (/var/log/jamfRestart.log) that captures that output of the script.
  • An Extension Attribute (Jamf Restart) that reads the log and displays if the Jamf binary has been killed.

The LaunchDaemon and Script can be packaged and deployed via Jamf (a lot easier to do when all Macs are checking-in). You can launch the LaunchDaemon with the command

/bin/launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.example.jamfRestart.plist

Once Jamf Restart has been deployed to a Mac, it will check if the process for the Jamf binary has been running for more than 1 day, if the Jamf binary has been running for more than a day, it will kill the process. After the Jamf binary has been killed, the next scheduled check-in will run correctly. Any policy run from Jamf can reasonably be expected to complete within 1 day, so killing the process when in it has been running for so long will not stop any policy with any chance of success from completing.

Jamf Restart will not fix the "Device Signature Error” which stops the Jamf binary from running, I have been testing the Jamf-Management-Framework-Redeploy API function for that.

Jamf Restart should ensure Macs keep checking into Jamf, and will allow you to identify which Macs have had issues checking in, so they can be investigated further.

The LaunchDaemon:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.example.jamfrestart</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>sh</string>
		<string>/Library/Scripts/jamfRestart.sh</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<false/>
	<key>StartInterval</key>
	<integer>86400</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

The Script:

#!/bin/bash

processRuntime=$(ps -ax -o user,pid,etime,args | grep "/usr/local/[j]amf/bin/jamf policy -stopConsoleLogs -randomDelaySeconds 300" | awk '{ print $3; }' | grep -o '.*[-]' | awk -F\- '{print $1}')
processCheck=$(ps -ax -o user,pid,etime,args | grep "/usr/local/[j]amf/bin/jamf policy -stopConsoleLogs -randomDelaySeconds 300" | awk '{ print $2; }')

logLocation="/var/log/jamfRestart.log"
scriptLogging(){

DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d\ %H:%M:%S`
    LOG="$logLocation"

echo "$DATE" " $1" >> $LOG
}

if [ "${processRuntime}" = "" ]; then
        scriptLogging "JamfBinary has not run for more than 1 day"
    else
        scriptLogging "JamfBinary has run for ${processRuntime} days"
        scriptLogging "JamfBinary Process ID: ${processCheck}"
        scriptLogging "Quitting JamfBinary..."
        sudo kill -9 ${processCheck}
    fi

exit 0

The Extension Attribute:

#!/bin/bash

jamfRestart=`/usr/bin/tail -10 /var/log/jamfRestart.log | grep "JamfBinary has run for"`

if [ "$jamfRestart" != "" ]; then
   echo "<result>$jamfRestart</result>"
else
   echo "<result>No Restarts</result>"
fi

Hopefully this is of use to someone.

43 REPLIES 43

For the "Load failed: 5: Input/output error" I found out the issue.
There's a typo on the LauncDaemon where:
"<key>Label</key>
<string>com.example.jamfrestart</string>"

needs to be:
"<string>com.example.jamfRestart</string>"
The "r" is lowercase and needs to be the uppercase "R".

itinspectorio
New Contributor II

dont know if I fixed the issue, but I dont have any errors any more. Can someone tell me if this is a good result of policy? 

Executing Policy Jamf Binary Restart

Running script Jamf binary Restart...

Script exit code: 0

Script result:

itinspectorio
New Contributor II

@jamesandre Could you please help validate the latest process? As I understand there is issue with new MacOS to execute sudo /bin/launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.example.jamfRestart.plist

Did you try on Sonama and Ventura OS? 

Yes, this is working on Sonoma, you can check the jamfRestart.log in Console. You will get the Load failed: 5: Input/output error if the Launch Daemon has already been loaded.