Restrict iPad Pairing to a specific computer

rchawla
New Contributor III

Hi all. I have an iPad enrolled via DEP and supervised. I know you can allow or prevent these from pairing to computers via the PreStage Enrollment, but is there a way to only allow a specific computer for pairing? I'm in a medical environment and we are experimenting with using these to record patient encounters for curriculum use. We want to make sure there is only one workstation that can download the video files.

Thoughts? Can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Raj

7 REPLIES 7

miregan
Contributor II

Pairing via Mac? Create a new pre-stage enrollment for that one ipad. Can also exclude the restrictions profile from the device so it can be paired with non configurator hosts. This doesnt solve the 'specific computer' part though.

rchawla
New Contributor III

So I've tried re-enrolling under a new pre-stage for this while leaving "Allow Devices to connect..." un-checked and made sure it was unchecked in the config profile under restrictions. When trying to connect to the machine that configured this particular iPad, I get the "This iPad is supervised by another computer and cannot be used with this computer" message.

Seems like this may not be possible...

rchawla
New Contributor III

The one saving grace in this is that once I re-enable pairing, you need to enter the iPad passcode to "Trust" the computer you are connecting to. So if the authorized user is responsible, it isn't a problem.

miregan
Contributor II

I would restore it in DFU mode and then try.

thejenbot
Contributor III

If you allow pairing in the Pre-Stage Enrollment you can then restrict it via a configuration profile. Then, when pairing is needed, you can exclude the device from the config profile to let them access the videos. When they're done, you can re-restrict by removing the exclusion. That's what we do in our K-12 environment, hope it helps :)

FutureFacinLuke
Contributor II

If "Allow Pairing" was disabled when an iPad was set up is there a way to remove the restriction without restoring the device?

thejenbot
Contributor III

Check your Pre-Stage Enrollment - if Pairing is not checked there, you will have to wipe and re-enroll once that box is checked. Then you can restrict pairing with a configuration profile.