thejenbot
‎07-13-2021
Contributor III

Joined: March 2016

User Statistics

  • 181 Posts
  • 1 Solutions
  • 156 Kudos given
  • 107 Kudos received

User Activity

Trying to get to the JSS and it's timing out. Anyone else having this issue? I called in to support but am stuck listening to the hold music due to "longer than normal wait times."
Deploying the Self Service iOS app v. 10.7.0 and running JSS version 10.8.0-t1539715549 - cloud hosted. All config profiles go through on the device, and then three minutes later Self Service installs. When looking in Management at first I'm seeing t...
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Things that used to work don't work anymore. Things that should work don't, (and let's be honest - some of them never have). There are weird commands going through, or failing, or pending. My logs look like garbage...
We push out a config profile to our managed iPad devices with an Exchange ActiveSync payload that prompts students to enter their Google email password in a pop-up window. This works perfectly for about 98% of users; the other 2% will have it work fi...
i have seen this in my logs on a regular basis (up to a couple of times per day) for months and i just don't get it. i've asked jamf support about it multiple times and they haven't really given me a direct answer, so i'm hoping that someone on here ...