Restricted Software doesnt seem to be working on Monterey installer

L-plateAdmin
Contributor

so before i delve into jamf and see if I can put some verbose logging on....

I just caught a user upgrading to Monterey in place before we had our upgrade polices ready.  i did neglect to put a block on before hand as i have been swamped and forgot 😵

anyway, so i'm just testing a block now to stop any others launching the app if they download it, however it doesn't seem to be respecting it.  i have set it up like previous versions and the .jmf_settings got delivered and the new policy is in place:-

{

"jamfProID" : 30,

"shouldKill" : true,

"whitelistedUsers" : [

],

"shouldDelete" : true,

"exactMatch" : true,

"message" : "Currently the upgrade to MacOS Mojave is not possible at this time, as it is still being tested against the managed build. Please contact the IT HelpDesk for further information.",

"shouldNotify" : false,

"process" : "\"Install macOS Mojave.app\"",

"name" : "MacOS Mojave Block"

},

{

"jamfProID" : 51,

],

"shouldDelete" : true,

"exactMatch" : true,

"message" : "Currently the upgrade to MacOS Monterey is not possible at this time, as it is still being tested against the managed build. Please contact the IT HelpDesk for further information.",

"shouldNotify" : false,

"process" : "\"Install macOS Monterey.app\"",

"name" : "MacOS Monterey block"

},

{

"jamfProID" : 26,

so that seems ok, it just doesn't seem to kick in.  we are on 10.37.2 btw on a M1 Pro book.

LplateAdmin_0-1658840869352.png

can anyone else confirm they are getting the same?

5 REPLIES 5

L-plateAdmin
Contributor

well i have been able to kill its sub-process osinstallersetupd, however its not very clean as it leaves the parent process stuck and needs to be forcequit...

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@L-plateAdmin  Block the process named "InstallAssistant"

L-plateAdmin
Contributor

when does that kick in then @sdagley  as I cant see it in activity monitor as far as the choose disk stage?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@L-plateAdmin InstallAssistant is the process name of the GUI portion of (at least) the past several Install macOS XXXXX applications. If that process is blocked then user's won't be able to run the application. Be aware that creating a Software Restriction configuration doesn't always take effect immediately, so you may not see a block become active right away. Doing a "sudo jamf manage" on a test machine in scope for the block should force the block to become active however.

Gary_R
New Contributor III

Thanks this help my situation.  Felt a little stumped for a while.