Right click on Apple Mouse

timlings
Contributor

Hi

I was wondering if there was a reliable way to turn on right click for Apple mice? I've tried packaging up com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist and creating a configuration profile from it, but neither work.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

timlings
Contributor

This post seems to work:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8041#responseChild85383

Saved as a .mobileconfig file, and applied at computer level.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

timlings
Contributor

This post seems to work:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8041#responseChild85383

Saved as a .mobileconfig file, and applied at computer level.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Just be aware that com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist may just be for the Apple Mighty Mouse. I think these are the other plists to look out for in case you have to deal with Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse:

com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse
com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad
com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse

These are the commands to change it:
defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse MouseButtonMode -string TwoButton
defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad TrackpadRightClick -int 1
defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse Button2 -int 2

Then just take that plist and convert it to a config profile using MCXtoProfile.

There may be more if you're dealing with laptops. And then you have the new Retina MacBook which may have a different plist for the Force Touchpad.

timlings
Contributor

Thanks!

Apart from 3rd party mice (which 'just work' with right click), we only have Mighty Mouse.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

In case its of any use, here's our config profile that makes sure right click is enabled on mice and trackpads.

timlings
Contributor

Hi @davidacland

Do I apply the config profile at a computer or a user level? Do I scope computers or users?

I'm finding that it's not working consistently.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tim

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

I normally scope at computer level to specific computers. What are the cases where it's not working? Is the profile not deploying or is it just not taking effect?

timlings
Contributor

Ok, maybe it is working. I just keep coming across Macs where right click isn't behaving as expected...

timlings
Contributor

Ok, so it's still not working. The profile appears on the Mac correctly, and even on the mouse preference pane it shows the second button as secondary click. But right click is still not working! If you manually change the second button on and off secondary click, it then works as expected.

BOBW
Contributor II

I found this too, after a logout / login it works fine though

michael_ferguso
New Contributor

@timlings Did you ever get this working?

holbertonschool
New Contributor

I could not get it to work either. I tried at computer level and user level. Like @timlings is saying, it shows up perfectly in the System Preferences but it does not work as expected.

I tried all other options that were offered on the forum, none are working. We are running on OS X El Capitan 10.11.4

McKinnonTech
New Contributor III

Did anyone ever get this working?

My installations don't even appear to have the same plist files, unless I'm missing something.

Running 10.11.

Edit: Just tried this fix, and it did not work either: https://github.com/amsysuk/public_config_profiles/blob/master/First_Boot_Profiles/EnableRightClick.mobileconfig
I'm assuming the plist's are different, however I cannot locate them.

chrisx
New Contributor

any updates in this with 10.11?

skinford
Contributor III

@timlings Good afternoon,

I guess I'm missing something I haven't done this yet with Casper. Where is this applied at in Casper? I created the file but do not know how to proceed. Thank you in advance.

Have a very great day today @timlings !

agusmurdadi
New Contributor

I'm use left click + control