root3 Support App

mrrobertbuss
Contributor

Hello everyone, 

IDK if anyone is using the great add on to Macs, but if you are can you help me get 4 Tiles to work? 

Tile #1 - Submit a Service Desk Ticket - the link is mailto:#servicedesk@mycompany.com. Nothing happens. 

Tile #2 - Battery - can't get it to display the battery level.

Tile #3 - Storage - can't get the amount of storage to display. 

Tile #4 - Privacy and Security - can't figure put how to open this one. We want end users to be able to open Privacy & Security directly without going through SystemSettings>Privacy and Security. 

Other than that, it is a great addition to our JAMF program. If you haven't tried it - check it out. 

https://github.com/root3nl/SupportApp

JNUC 2021 release with training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LijCmR6gQAM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KateWinslet
New Contributor II

@mrrobertbuss wrote:

Hello everyone, 

IDK if anyone is using the great add on to Macs, but if you are can you help me get 4 Tiles to work? 

Tile #1 - Submit a Service Desk Ticket - the link is mailto:#servicedesk@mycompany.com. Nothing happens. 

Tile #4 - Privacy and Security - can't figure put how to open this one. We want end users to be able to open Privacy & Security directly without going through SystemSettings>Privacy and Security. 

Other than that, it is a great addition to our JAMF program. If you haven't tried it - check it out. 

To fix the issues with your Mac add-on tiles: For Tile #1, ensure the mailto link is correctly formatted. For Tile #2 and Tile #3, verify that the add-on has the necessary permissions to access and display battery and storage information. For Tile #4, check the add-on’s documentation for a URL scheme or command to directly open the Privacy & Security settings. If these steps don’t resolve the problems, consult the add-on’s support resources or community forums for additional help.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

wakco
Contributor II

As there are only 2 custom InfoItems, and you only have 1 built-in InfoItem you can use (Storage), requiring the rest to be custom, I'd suggest first, changing the order, so that the first two can be InfoItems, and the other two can be two buttons in a single row. I'd put the Battery and Storage in the two InfoItems, with scripts to provide the Battery information and using the built-in InfoItem for Storage. Then the mail link should work for the submit ticket buttons, leaving finding a way to open the Privacy & Security preference pane, and thanks to a System Preferences/Settings extension called SwiftDefaultApps (not required, it's just how I found the URL option) I found that using x-apple.systempreferences: as the URL, System Settings would open to the Privacy & Security pane.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.29.11 AM.png

This is what I have set up. 

@wakco This is my Config for showing Hard Drive Storage and I get this error. Did I put this in wrong? Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.37.39 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.36.33 AM.png

This works - must be in the first 6 top Tiles. 

My updated Support App on a Mac: 

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 4.55.17 PM.png

This is my set up for Privacy & Security using your latest script. Error pops up. Is this correct? Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.39.51 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.37.39 AM.png

The script should actually be an executable script placed on the computer somewhere it can run, and the "Link should be the path to the script.

This is my Submit a ticket config. No error pops up - it just doesn't do anything when you click on it. Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.43.45 AM.png

mailto: links will require that a mail client is set up to receive the mailto: link. That could be Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, or other email client. There are ways to configure a web browser to receive mailto links as well.

This works. You have to be logged into your Outlook in order for the link to pop open. 

This is my battery config. Shows nothing. See previous screen shot of my GUI on desktop. 

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 10.47.33 AM.png

mrrobertbuss
Contributor

I'll work on your suggestion and get back to you. Thank you. 

That sucks, that URL proved to be less reliable than expected, try this script instead:

#!/bin.zsh -f

# Get user id
userid=$(id -u $( who | grep console | awk '{ print $1 }' ))

# Open System Settings
launchctl asuser $userid /usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to open "System Settings"'

# Wait for 2 seconds for Systems Settings to open
sleep 2

# Open Privacy & Security
launchctl asuser $userid /usr/bin/osascript -e 'tell application "System Settings" to reveal pane "Privacy & Security"'

If you're thinking the second launchctl should be enough, it isn't, on open it tends to fail to go to the Privacy & Security pane, opening System Settings first, then attempting to go to the Privacy & Security pane is much more reliable.

KateWinslet
New Contributor II

@mrrobertbuss wrote:

Hello everyone, 

To fix the issues with your Mac add-on tiles: For Tile #1, ensure the mailto link is correctly formatted. For Tile #2 and Tile #3, verify that the add-on has the necessary permissions to access and display battery and storage information. For Tile #4, check the add-on’s documentation for a URL scheme or command to directly open the Privacy & Security settings. If these steps don’t resolve the problems, consult the add-on’s support resources or community forums for additional help.