Run ASU via Self Service

thoule
Valued Contributor II

So I've made a nice script that runs 'softwareupdate' and warns if a reboot is required and stuff like that, but I've run into a problem. If I invoke it from Self Service, it runs great until Safari needs an update. Then I get a box that says "In order to continue installation, please close the following application: Safari". However it's webkit/Self Service that's running, not Safari directly so I can't quit it. If I force quit the Safari process, it'll kill Self Service then my whole script will die, as it's a child of that process. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? How did you handle it?

For reference, the script is here: https://github.com/tmhoule/UpdateApps/blob/master/UpdateAppsNoAPI.sh

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

That's weird. Are you running Self Service in a way that its loading inside a browser instead of the standalone application? Because I can't see how Apple's installer would see Self Service as an instance of Safari. Its like saying that anything with an embedded browser is an instance of "Safari" which is obviously wrong.
If this is happening while the actual Self Service.app is open, then I don't know what to say. Apple needs to make their installers more intelligent I guess. With webkit being so entrenched throughout apps and processes in the OS, it seems this would get tripped up by lots of things, not just Self Service.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Nevermind - bad VM here. I reverted to an old snapshot and its all good now. I just wasted a couple hours fighting with this thing. I have a lot of web based SS plug-ins which may have left some trace of Safari on the VM. It's working fine since I reverted though.